Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Try Vanilla Forums Cloud product
Please upgrade to 2.3 here. The 2.2 and earlier branches are no longer being updated.

Allow user to change profile picture but not edit their details.

This discussion is related to the Vanilla addon.

Hi everyone,
I've really enjoyed implementing my new Vanilla forum and the amount of help available here is amazing.
I have not given members permission to update their details because I have a system integrated with my main site where it will update the vanilla databases as well. However, for the profile pictures it would be much easier to use Vanilla's system (my main site doesn't use profile pictures). Is there a way to let members change their profile picture but not update their details e.g. Username, email etc.?
Thanks!

Comments

  • vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

    The permissions involving uploading an avatar are the same for editing profile. The best solution is to not allow edit profile and encourage them to use an avatar service like Vanillicon https://vanillicon.com or Gravatar or any other like Identicon .

    There are plugins for this purpose to make them compatible and work with vanilla. You can also use a default avatar plugin to make everyone the same avatar.

    https://vanillaforums.org/addon/identicon5-plugin

    StuartLjackmaessenhgtonightRiver
  • Thanks for the info, vrijvlinder. I think I will go with Identicon for now and then maybe add a custom implementation later.

    vrijvlinder
  • @StuartL said:
    Thanks for the info, vrijvlinder. I think I will go with Identicon for now and then maybe add a custom implementation later.

    @vrijvlinder said:
    The permissions involving uploading an avatar are the same for editing profile. The best solution is to not allow edit profile and encourage them to use an avatar service like Vanillicon https://vanillicon.com or Gravatar or any other like Identicon .

    There are plugins for this purpose to make them compatible and work with vanilla. You can also use a default avatar plugin to make everyone the same avatar.

    https://vanillaforums.org/addon/identicon5-plugin

    @StuartL said:

    However, for the profile pictures it would be much easier to use Vanilla's system (my main site doesn't use profile pictures). Is there a way to let members change their profile picture but not update their details e.g. Username, email etc.?

    Thanks!

    well it all depends on what you mean by etc.

    Because yes you can allow users to change pictures but prevent changes to email or username.

    $Configuration['Garden']['Profile']['EditUsernames'] = false;
    $Configuration['Garden']['Profile']['EditEmails'] = false;

    prevent editing or allow editing of photos.

    $Configuration['Garden']['Profile']['EditPhotos'] = TRUE;

    show activities

    $Configuration['Garden']['Profile']['ShowActivities'] = true;

    prevent password changing with connect registration iirc.

    $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = 'Connect';

    this one is tricky.

    if set to false it will hide the ability to edit profile fields. BUT BEWARE, it only hides it, users can still go to link and actually edit fields. It is just cosmetic but does not prevent editing, just hides it.

    $Configuration['Garden']['UserAccount']['AllowEdit'] = TRUE;

    Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

    vrijvlinderLuckyChauhanStuartLBleistivt
  • Hi River,
    This is awesome information. Sorry for the late response. I will be trying to implement this very soon.
    Thanks,
    Stuart

Sign In or Register to comment.