Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Learning how to code?

What would be the best set of languages to learn for online use. I'm looking to learn a set of languages that would not limit me to what I can do, I'm not looking to learn a language that would allow me work for google but a set of languages that would allow me to make anything from a site like youtube to a sexy software like vanilla forums. <3

Comments

• RiverRiver MVP
    edited August 2016

you would need to know a database as well as below if you plan on storing any information that is not statically assigned by you. - sql.

https://www.sitepoint.com/web-designers-guide-to-programming/

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Web pages are made of html, styling is done with css and interactivity is made possible by JavaScript. Without a good understanding of all of those 3, you wouldn't be able to create anything.

If you have mastered that, think about the next step.

• @R_J said:
    Web pages are made of html, styling is done with css and interactivity is made possible by JavaScript. Without a good understanding of all of those 3, you wouldn't be able to create anything.

Okay, thanks.

• @River said:
    you would need to know a database as well as below if you plan on storing any information that is not statically assigned by you. - sql.

Is MySQL a lot better?

• RiverRiver MVP
    edited August 2016

@ItsVizionTv said:

@River said:

Is MySQL a lot better?

if you know one, you essentially know the other.

these questions are best asked on other sites.

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• @River said:

@ItsVizionTv said:

@River said:

Is MySQL a lot better?

if you know one, you essentially know the other.

Ow. <3

• @R_J said:

Do I have to know HTML to learn HTML or can I just jump into HTML5?
    Plus, know any good sites where I could learn HTML, css and JavaScript for free?

• RiverRiver MVP
    edited August 2016

have you considered asking your questions on the proper coding web site!!!

plenty of coding forums and web sites. just use google and type your questions into google.

google "How long can I troll for answers".

if you have a vanilla specific question, this is probably the best web site, otherwise there are better coding web sites, investigate them, by googling and see which is right for you.

vanilla and google both have search boxes.

• @River said:
    have you considered asking your questions on the proper coding web site!!!

plenty of coding forums and web sites. just use google and type your questions into google.

google "How long can I troll for answers".

if you have a vanilla specific question, this is probably the best web site, otherwise there are better coding web sites, investigate them.

vanilla and google both have search boxes.

Sorry.

• RiverRiver MVP
    edited August 2016

nothing to be sorry about. you are welcome to ask, However, you will get a more rounded answer on coding web sites.

http://www.codingforums.com/

http://stackexchange.com/sites#

and several thousand other sites that may be more general code-oriented and not vanilla specific.