Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Error 500 in fresh install

jabossujabossu New
edited August 2016 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello everyone !

Firstly, i know the same topic already exists. However, it's from 2010 and didnt solve my issue. So i create a new one =)

So here comes what happened : I want to try Vanilla for a new forum. I dowloaded the version 2.2.1-core from the official website, extracted it and uploaded it with filzilla. I started the installation process, entered all datas, clicked continue, and got an error 500.

• All rights are set to 755, which is allowed by my host (OVH)
  • It does not seem to come from the htaccess file, for deleting it didnt change anything.
  • I joined a PDF version of my PHPinfo to this topic. It seems fine to me...
  • I looked for my logs : this is what i found :

XX.XXX.XXX.XX forum.cmcluj.fr - [17/Aug/2016:5:48:12 +0200] "POST /index.php?p=/dashboard/setup& HTTP/1.1" 500 351 "http://forum.cmcluj.fr/index.php?p=/dashboard/setup" "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:48.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/48.0" [Wed Aug 17 15:48:12 2016] [error] [client XX.XXX.XXX.XX] [host forum.cmcluj.fr] Premature end of script headers: index.php, referer: http://forum.cmcluj.fr/index.php?p=/dashboard/setup&

What should I try / check next to solve this ?

Thanks for reading !

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Please post the contents of the config.php found in the conf folder.

Make sure you remove passwords and keys before you post the screenshot or code.

Use the code button to post your code so it is readable. It's the one on the left of the smiley. Select the code then click that code button.

• Hello, thanks for your answer.

However, my config file is empty, so posting it here won't do any good =)

Any other lead ?

@jabossu said:
    Hello, thanks for your answer.

Any other lead ?

Without a config.php file your forum will not work. That file holds the settings. You likely did not install correctly, because after setup the config.php gets created and populated automatically…

• use php 5.3 or 5.4 or 5.5 or 5.6

@jabossu said:
    Hello, thanks for your answer.

Any other lead ?

version 2.2.1 does not work with php 7.0

use php 5.6 or 5.5 or 5.4 or 5.3

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• @River said:

use php 5.3 or 5.4 or 5.5 or 5.6
    version 2.2.1 does not work with php 7.0

Thank you river, That seems to be it. I wasn't paying enough attention, it seems... =)

• jefferjeffer New
    edited February 2017

I think there is more to this that just php7 issue.
    Vanilla 2.3 on PHP 5.6 gives 500 error.
    Permissions are correct.
    I tried to pin point problem in code, but I gave up.
    It takes too long to untangle all these static functions.

@jeffer said:
    I think there is more to this that just php7 issue.
    Vanilla 2.3 on PHP 5.6 gives 500 error.
    Permissions are correct.
    I tried to pin point problem in code, but I gave up.
    It takes too long to untangle all these static functions.

You need to run utility/update and utility/structure

Updating will always result in a fatal error but it is fixed by doing the above. If you are posting here you have not read this...

https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/32851/updating-results-in-something-went-wrong-page-fatal-error-what-to-do#latest