Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Disabled plugins effects on forum

Can disabled plugins still have effect(s) on Vanilla forum?
By effect I mean, registering footprint of its code on Vanilla forum?
Please advise.

Best Answers

Answers

• @vrijvlinder - thanks.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

not sure what you mean by footprint.

He means , if after disabling the plugin, does it continue to load files that slow his website.
    He is trying to find out what plugins etc are slowing down his site. If a plugin that has been disabled still loads files, then there is something seriously wrong with that particular plugin.

Which is not the case with his plugins, as I have seen what plugins he has.

For some reason Prosper is very worried about google page speed scores and is trying to figure out a way to not load unnecessary files etc.

• @River, @vrijvlinder - I have several plugins that are disabled on my forum. I want to know if deleting the disabled plugins will clean things up and possibly improve the forum.
    I guess the wisest thing to do is to delete all the disabled plugins.
    Thank you all for your comments.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited August 2016

@Prosper said:
    @River, @vrijvlinder - I have several plugins that are disabled on my forum. I want to know if deleting the disabled plugins will clean things up and possibly improve the forum.
    Thank you all for your comments.

After you disable plugins, they should automatically remove the settings saved in the config.php for that plugin, but some do not remove that data.

Even though that data or settings are not functional because the plugin is disabled, if you are not using a plugin and it has saved configurations after disabling it and to get rid of everything , remove those configurations from the config.php that has to do with that plugin.

Removing or deleting plugins or configurations for plugins from the config.php Has NO effect on optimization unless it is a bad plugin , a rogue plugin you should not be using anyway. I don't know any plugin that does this. I do know that some themes do have a negative effect loading a website.

• RiverRiver MVP
    edited August 2016

@Prosper said:
    @River, @vrijvlinder - I have several plugins that are disabled on my forum. I want to know if deleting the disabled plugins will clean things up and possibly improve the forum.

no use keeping add-ons you downloaded from add-on section and don't plan on using.
    But keep the add-ons that come with the core install
    always disable plugin from the dashboard. (disabling and enabling by manually changing config.php is only a last resort if you can't disable via dashboard).

as vrijvlinder says you can remove the residuals related to the plugins you deleted, just make sure they relate to the plugin you disabled via the dashboard.

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.