Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

File failed to upload

2»

Comments

• Options

@vrijvlinder said:
    I see some issues might be related , you need to use pretty Urls. You must make sure that your htaccess file is correct, and the you have enabled rewrite module.

Some plugins require this and in the future it will be required in the next version of vanilla. Most issues are caused by failure to set these things up properly.

I think this may be it. How can I make sure htaccess is correct? I am hosting it myself. Also how can I use pretty urls? Would you please elaborate on this?

Thank you!

• Options
    zatokarzatokar New
    edited September 2016

I have updated my htaccess file so now there is

~~
    RewriteBase /forum
    ~~

(I can't get code block to work...)

I haven't changed anything else though.

• Options

I have tried completely fresh installation with new DB and first thing I've done was enabling advanced editor, tried to upload a file, didn't work. :(

SOMEONE PLEASE HEEEELP

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited September 2016

@zatokar

Ok, every time you overwrite or reinstall, your htaccess file gets overwritten. You must make sure there is not a hash # in front of it coz that disables the rule.

RewriteBase /forum

Also look inside the config.php for this configuration , if it is not in there, please add it.

$Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls']=TRUE;

Also if you still have problems, I could look at your installation. I would need ftp credentials and make an admin account for me at your forum. Call the user TestAdmin , create it and send me the login instructions via pm

• Options

@vrijvlinder said:
    @zatokar

Ok, every time you overwrite or reinstall, your htaccess file gets overwritten. You must make sure there is not a hash # in front of it coz that disables the rule.

RewriteBase /forum

Also look inside the config.php for this configuration , if it is not in there, please add it.

$Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls']=TRUE;

Also if you still have problems, I could look at your installation. I would need ftp credentials and make an admin account for me at your forum. Call the user TestAdmin , create it and send me the login instructions via pm

Adding this: $Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls']=TRUE; completely broke it. E.g. I can't sign out without getting 404 error and such.

I will create admin user for you and try to grant you FTP permission first thing in the morning. It's night here. Thanks a lot for help.

• Options

@River said:
    If you created your own forum, you have to determine if you are using the apache web server! or some other server!

do you know?, some of us don't.

if you are not using apache, anything anyone tells you about .htaccess means nothing. Because .htaccess is used by Apache and not by other common web servers. (i.e. nginx, IIS).

to get more focused help, provide real information that is more complete, bits and pieces trickling through results in more guessing and voodoo.

https://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/241979/#Comment_241979
    https://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/242829/#Comment_242829

you could do most of the work yourself, if you can follow instructions and search the forum for key information.

Bottom line.
       if you don't get rewrite url's working you will continue to have problems with other things as well.
       try to avoid IIS server if possible, it is often "easier for novices to use linux when setting up vanilla", and vanilla ofter has problems with IIS. 

avoid IIS, not many people have good experience with it on this forum, or if they are capable with IIS, they don't come here to provide much help.
    check for errors in error log and check for js console errors (which you have).
    a complete listing of your php info
    posting of config.php with passwords and salts and emails removed.
    screenshots of the media table for the media id that is not updating in your next attempt.
    screenshots of permissions and ownership of uploads folder and sub folders
    disable broken plugins which you have enabled.
    remove unused non-core plugins, especially plugins that are not compatible with 2.2.1
    make sure you are not using strict mode with sql, when testing.
    check error logs for mismatched table names - upper and lower case can affect things.

read the tutorials on troubleshooting.  the FAQ.  and the installation instructions.
     search for the threads where people have had trouble,  pretty much all the reasons for images not uploading have been discussed, "search images broken, pictures broken, failed to upload, etc,  and it is a logical process.

if you do decide you want help, and want to provide the necessary info. please post the screenshots not links to other places and provide all the info requested.

I am guessing you don't use apache because you had so many issues with $Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls']=TRUE;
    I am also guessing because you haven't told us. So my guess could be wrong :(

Double Bottom Line:

You will probably be struggling for another few months till eternity if you use IIS. although I provided a link to a link that for iis rewriting might help you (but might not). Just want to warn you about IIS.
    You will be much happier with linux and apache or linux and nginx, or at the very least use Apache or nginx when working with vanilla and plugins, and you might get better support here.

https://vanillaforums.org/discussion/28420/frequently-asked-questions

https://lunarpages.com/apache-vs-iis-which-web-server-should-you-choose/

Thank you for your insights. You are right I was trying to run it on IIS. Now I have installed Wamp, set up everything from scratch and I still have the same issue.

Would you be willing to help personally? My skypeid: zatokar1

Thanks a lot.

• Options

you will figure it out if you concentrate on reading my comment.

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• Options

I went with myBB, flawless. But thanks for help.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Well at least this discussion might help someone else... And it won't be a total waste of people's time .

• Options

Hi guys, im reading this discussion and actually im using IIS with Vanilla but i got the "Something has gone wrong." screen, as i read @River recomends better to use Apache, my only error here is i cant start a conversation between users, im using mysql for database but all my tables are in lowercase is this rigth ? maybe this could be the problem ? anyone can provide a screenshot of the rigth name of the tables in mysql, here i post my mysql screenshot

• Options
    RiverRiver MVP
    edited September 2016

@krosis said:

but i got the "Something has gone wrong." screen,

https://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/219669/#Comment_219669

im using mysql for database but all my tables are in lowercase is this rigth ?

https://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/241676/#Comment_241676

you will most likely need to set pretty urls as well if you want to avoid other issues with some plugins.

https://vanillaforums.org/discussion/27568/enabling-clean-urls-on-iis-installations

also try php 5.4, 5.5 or 5.6 if you are using a different version of php.

make sure sql is NOT in strict mode.
    https://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/243181/#Comment_243181

not sure why you didn't start a new discussion if your issue is not with File upload.

title of discussion "File failed to upload" !!!!!

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.