Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Render Blocking & CSS Delivery with Page Speed Insights.

Hello, could anyone explain to me how I would fix render blocking with javascript plus how to optimize CSS delivery within VanillaForums for both Mobile & Desktop.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

I believe you've asked what basically amounts to the same question multiple times over the last months.

Have you tried using the consolidate plugin and if yes, did it speed up your site?
    If it didn't, then you might want to start to accept that what we've been saying: It's nice to get a nice Google insight grade, but good grades don't mean a fast site neccessarely and bad grades don't mean a slow site.

• Options

@Caylus said:
    I believe you've asked what basically amounts to the same question multiple times over the last months.

Have you tried using the consolidate plugin and if yes, did it speed up your site?
    If it didn't, then you might want to start to accept that what we've been saying: It's nice to get a nice Google insight grade, but good grades don't mean a fast site neccessarely and bad grades don't mean a slow site.

I tried to use consolidate and it broke my site, sorry but I have been trying to fix this for months and I just can't...

• Options
    ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited October 2016

Is your website loading fast already? The render blocking/delivery of JS and CSS warnings with Page Speed Insights isn't a big deal since most of the files in Vanilla plugins are small. Do your best to minimize the number and size of files as much as you can.

If consolidating/minification plugins won't work, you should use CloudFlare with the cache, Rocket Loader, and other features enabled.

I also recommend optimizing and tweaking your web server, PHP server, and MySQL server for performance and to scale with your website in a production environment as this can yield a greater performance improvement.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Caching assets with htaccess is easily done: http://www.askapache.com/htaccess/speed-up-sites-with-htaccess-caching/

Afterwards "blocking" JavaScripts are no big deal.

• Options

You could, if you were inclined, replace this code in class.headmodule.php:

With this code:

I'm not saying it's a good idea tho. It's also not going to improve the speed of your site by any significant amount.
    But you seem to care very deeply about your Google Insights arbitrary grade which this will improve slightly, I guess.

I'd personally go back through your various discussions and implement the changes the members proposed instead of trying to fix something that you were told cannot be fixed and will not influence the speed of your site that much anyway.

• Options

@Shadowdare said:
    Is your website loading fast already? The render blocking/delivery of JS and CSS warnings with Page Speed Insights isn't a big deal since most of the files in Vanilla plugins are small. Do your best to minimize the number and size of files as much as you can.

If consolidating/minification plugins won't work, you should use CloudFlare with the cache, Rocket Loader, and other features enabled.

I also recommend optimizing and tweaking your web server, PHP server, and MySQL server for performance and to scale with your website in a production environment as this can yield a greater performance improvement.

K, thanks but every time I turn on Rocket Loader my site stop's working.

• Options

@R_J said:
    Caching assets with htaccess is easily done: http://www.askapache.com/htaccess/speed-up-sites-with-htaccess-caching/

Afterwards "blocking" JavaScripts are no big deal.

K, thanks.

• Options

@Caylus said:
    You could, if you were inclined, replace this code in class.headmodule.php:

With this code:

I'm not saying it's a good idea tho. It's also not going to improve the speed of your site by any significant amount.
    But you seem to care very deeply about your Google Insights arbitrary grade which this will improve slightly, I guess.

I'd personally go back through your various discussions and implement the changes the members proposed instead of trying to fix something that you were told cannot be fixed and will not influence the speed of your site that much anyway.

Okay, thanks.

• Options

I'm just going to forget about the Render Blocking & CSS Delivery and use all of the tips you guys gave me.