Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Multilingual Plugin : Guest can't see "Change language"

Hi, I'm using Vanilla 2.3 and Multilingual Plugin

Guest can't see "Change language", Logged-in Member can see.

how to let both of User Types see the language switcher ?

Thank you very much

Tagged:

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited November 2016

You would need to give permissions to the guest and I do not think this plugin has those options. You need to go to Roles and permissions in the dashboard and select Guest and see if there is an option to allow guest to view and use the plugin.

• vrijvlinder, I have tried your suggestion, there is no option for that, do you have alternative solution?, anyway thank you for your advice

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

This plugin specifically seems to block Guests until Guest session is reinitiated according to the notes in the code of this plugin. I do not use it . I use TranslateThis Plugin.

As far as I can see, this plugin does not offer guest access. Because users are supposed to pick the language they prefer, and a guest is not a user. This plugin is only helpful to translate translatable strings. Not everything. I personally don't see it's purpose. But maybe the author will shed some light. I suggest you email the author with your query.

• RiverRiver MVP
    edited November 2016

since the plugin stores the info for each user in the usermeta based on userid, and guests have no userid.

You would need to probably stash or store the info locally probably. a cookie or on local storage.

I believe this uses a cookie as an example

see https://vanillaforums.org/addon/languagebypath-plugin

also another option if it works

https://vanillaforums.org/addon/languagebypath-plugin

AS far as multilingual, apparently alot of people like it (as apparent from the activity record that records things in different languages (due to multilingual side effect).

@asval At the same time not having guests able to use language switcher might be an incentive to sign in and register to your site. Sometimes the little additions from registering spur people to register and actually contribute to your forum.

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.