Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Assigning Roles, Ranks, and Permissions

GeorgiiGeorgii New
edited December 2016 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for a fantastic discussion system. I am attempting to build two (hopefully) large communities for mental health concerns and for blindness-related issues (two separate communities).

However, in coming to manage the roles, ranks, and permissions, I am faced with a challenge. I wish for new members to only be allowed to post in the Introductions discussion forum when they have 0 posts, and when they have 1 post (in that forum), to be allowed to post elsewhere in the forum?

How do I accomplish this? I've tried adding a new "Newcomer" role, and I think I could assign permissions for it to only post in the Introductions discussion forum, but then how do I graduate users from "Newcomer" to "Member"?

If this is not the correct way to go about it, what are some of your recommendations that I could attempt? :)

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

You should take a look at the YAGA application. As far as I know it allows ranking-up based on very flexible criteria.

• @R_J said:
    You should take a look at the YAGA application. As far as I know it allows ranking-up based on very flexible criteria.

What about switching roles from the (custom created) "Newcomer" role to the "Member" role?

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

YAGA is very flexible. It might be possible to write some lines of code or maybe it is even possible out of the box. You should simply try it.

YAGA is very mighty. If you do not want to use any other of its functionalities (don't decide against it without having a look!) you could also create a custom plugin, just for this purpose. It wouldn't be hard. If you have at least basic programming skills I could guide you.

• @R_J said:
    YAGA is very flexible. It might be possible to write some lines of code or maybe it is even possible out of the box. You should simply try it.

YAGA is very mighty. If you do not want to use any other of its functionalities (don't decide against it without having a look!) you could also create a custom plugin, just for this purpose. It wouldn't be hard. If you have at least basic programming skills I could guide you.

I have zero programming skills. I'll try YAGA out via a test account and see what happens. :)

Will get back to you if things didn't work out as desired.