Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Installation: MYSQL Server problem.

edited November 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Okay, so I make sure the permissions are set and go to the next step, I enter in "localhost" (Without quotation marks) and the rest of my info like I have done many times yet I receive an error (See: below).

-------
We came across some problems while setting up Vanilla...
We couldn't connect to the server you provided (localhost). The database responded with the following message: Access denied for user '####'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
-------

- I replaced my user name with #### for simply privacy.

So, I'm not sure why it isn't working and I have used localhost for every other installation (Like Wordpress, SMF and other software) yet it won't work.

Do I simply have to find out the 'real' MYSQL Server address from my host ?

- I'm with Hostgator if that helps.

Anyway, I hope I can sort this out with your help.. And I also hope it isn't something incredibly obvious (And yes, I checked the readme included with the files and the documentation online but I couldn't find any info, so I may have missed it but it's just strange localhost isn't working this particular time..). :/

- There is as spelling mistake on the docs page - Your mySQL servers host address. (in manyu cases, this is just “localhost” without the quotes)

Comments

• Options
    Someone else had the same issue: http://lussumo.com/community/discussion/2605/
  • Options
    I'm assuming your #### user has proper privs for the Vanilla database, right?
  • Options
    Dinoboff: Thanks, that thread looks like it should solve my problem but I have a soccer match now so I'll do it as soon as I'm home. D:

Though, when the person said "Instead of simply "localhost" for the database address I had the full URL." does he mean that long address which usually includes public_html and so on ? Or what's the 'common' full URL ?

Bergamot: Yes, full/all privileges.

Thanks so far. :)
  • Options
    I'm having the same problem. I want to install Vanilla in a folder called 'X------'. This will eventually have password privileges. I have set up the mysql database on the site (just simply filling out the basic form in my control panel: Hostname: localhost; Databasename: xxxx; Username: xxxx; Password: xxxx.) I get as far as page 2 as does 'Skip'. The support at the host (supanames.co.uk) states "we cannot offer support for third party scripts im afraid, If however you do find of any server side configurations you may require then please let me know and we shall be happy to help". They do have a faq for using Phpbb and the only discussions on their forum refer to that (but are not in this case relevant). I am entirely a novice in these matters, simply wanting to set up a forum on particular issues.
  • Options
    I should add that the folder into which Vanilla is being installed will be the folder to which a subdomain is mapped.
  • Options
    I seem to be having the same problem. I've been doing some local testing of a bunch of CMS's etc this week and haven't run into a problem...so I'm pretty perplexed about it. when i set the user to root with no password...i get past step 2, however when i login i get the access denied message. strangely enough...when i set a root password and use that in the setup wizard, i cannot get past step 2. I ran the php script which was included on the above referenced thread...i am also denied access. any ideas?
  • Options
    I am having the exact same problem the OP was having with installation. I already have phpBB loaded on my server for something else and had no problems. Why am I getting that error? Help with be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! :)
  • Options
    Okay... that was weird... I just uninstalled it and reinstalled it again and now it works fine... strange... but delightful...
This discussion has been closed.