Users running a non-download version of Vanilla (pulled from github), on branch release/2019.016 or master from the last 2 weeks should upgrade to release/2019.017 or latest master for security reasons. Downloaded official open sources releases are not affected.
Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.

importing SMF2 is stuck with error Data file directory (.../uploads/import/import) is not writable.

I am migrating SMF2 from one hosting to Vanilla latest stable on another hosting. I could easily export with the porter php file and it created a export_xxxx.txt.gz file for me.

When I try to import the export_xxxx.txt.gz file and start the import, the process starts and hangs at "Process Import File" with red bar right at top which says

Data file directory (/home/desaia/electronicsforum.in/uploads/import/import) is not writable.

I have already tried to delete the /import folder from /uploads and when I try the process again with nothing in /uploads it creates the import dir with the a xxxxx.gz file (its exact same filesize as I upload).

I also tried giving 777 or 755 permission to the import folder. but it still gets stuck with the Data file directory is not writable error as below:

Tagged:

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

The uploads folder needs to be writeable . Make sure the uploads folder has 775 permission

• @vrijvlinder said:
    The uploads folder needs to be writeable . Make sure the uploads folder has 775 permission

Nope, Not working.

• I cleared everything in /uploads.
    • Did chmod -R 775 /uploads
    • clicked on import on Vannila admin page, selected file to upload, entered old admin email, click start
    • this step above, creates an /import folder inside /uploads, and puts the .txt.gz file inside import.
    • click on continue on vanilla admin.
    • stuck with error Data file directory (/xxx/xxx/xxxx.com/uploads/import/import) is not writable.
  • Issue Solved. This is definitely a bug or something.

Error message is Data file directory (/xxx/xxx/xxxx.com/uploads/import/import) is not writable.

However, in the forum directory, if you clear the /uploads folder (that is if you empty the /upload directory) and assign it 775 access. When the import is done and gets stuck the txt.gz file actually reasides at /xxx/xxx/xxxx.com/uploads/import/xxxx.txt.gz while the error message talks about /xxx/xxx/xxxx.com/uploads/import/import.

I cleared everything from /uploads and created folders /uploads/import/import and assigned 775 access to /uploads and bingo, it imported my forum in seconds, very neat and clean.

vrijvlinder