Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

jsconnect 1.5.3 with vanilla 2.3 in a subfolder

Is anyone out there still using jsconnect with Vanilla?
I have spent hours and hours trying to get this to work and everything I try just does not work, and I'm wondering now if this is just no longer supported and not expected to work anymore.
I have Vanilla 2.3 installed in a "forum" subfolder on my domain and have installed the jsconnect 1.5.3 plugin and enabled it.
Using the embedded option, I just get 404s everywhere where it seems to be trying to load my main site under the forum folder.
I've created my own authenticate endpoint but when it is called from vanilla, it just returns the name and imageurl.
I'm so frustrated now, but I need to stop struggling with this until I know someone out there has it working. If it's not supported anymore, what's the alternative for an embedded forum?
Thanks,
Shane

Comments

• Options

@shanebough said:
    Is anyone out there still using jsconnect with Vanilla?

I have tried for a few days to get 2.3 and jsconnect to work... I dont think it works in 2.3 documents are few.. and the ones they do have either are not offering enough info or just enough to keep you running in circles.. Ive posted here as well as stack overflow not responses so I am just assuming it dont work for version 2.3

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I'm 100% sure it is still working because there is no other solution for SSO and Vanilla is still serving their software for paying customers. They wouldn't be able to survive if they had no solution for such a common requirement.

It's a pity that no one here around has enough experience with jsConnect to be able to help you. I never used it so I don't know more than that it is existing.
    But I will do a test connection between Vanilla and another software to gain some knowledge. It may take a week or so since my time is limited right now, but my assumption is that I will be able to get it up and running in shorter time than someone new to Vanilla.

Is there any special software you like me to test? Otherwise I will use ProcessWire out of sympathy.
    And the forum should be in example.com/forum? Just that I know a start setting that will have a direct usable output...

• Options

@R_J said:
    But I will do a test connection between Vanilla and another software to gain some knowledge. It may take a week or so since my time is limited right now, but my assumption is that I will be able to get it up and running in shorter time than someone new to Vanilla.

Is there any special software you like me to test? Otherwise I will use ProcessWire out of sympathy.

Thanks @R_J for your response. In terms of any special software to test, my site is simply a PHP site with MySQL db. The forum software was installed from the hosting provider's cPanel Softaculous Software Installer, which just looks like it creates the /forum folder off the root of the main domain. I had to download the JSConnect piece separately as the installed forum didn't have it included, which is why I think it might not actually be compatible with this version of Vanilla, but the documentation implies it should.

I can't believe no-one has this working on a simple PHP site. I don't mind going back a few versions of each if it means I can get it working.

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@shanebough said:
    The forum software was installed from the hosting provider's cPanel Softaculous Software Installer

That could be a problem. It doesn't need to be the problem, but those installers must change Vanilla in order to be able to install it automatically and therefore it is impossible to say where your problem lies.

Installing Vanilla is really easy. You should download the current version of Vanilla and install it manually.

@shanebough said:
    I can't believe no-one has this working on a simple PHP site.

I don't believe that, too and I do not see a reason why someone should believe so ;)

• Options

I must be missing something really obvious because everyone else seems to know how to install vanilla from scratch. The readme file says "Vanilla is built to be simple, and its installation is no exception. Upload this entire file structure up to your web server. Confirm the cache, conf, and uploads folders are writable by PHP. Navigate to that folder in your web browser. Follow the instructions on screen."

I copied the folder structure into a subfolder called forum.
    All the folders are writable by PHP.
    I navigated to the forum folder and I was presented with the installer screen which asks for db credentials, etc. but there is no db. When I use Softaculous, it creates a db for me, but how does the db get created for this? There is nothing in the readme to say how the db gets created.

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited May 2017

@shanebough

You can use phpMyAdmin to create an empty DB; it just needs to have a name, a user and password and Vanilla will do the rest.

• Options

Thanks @whu606. It would help if that simple instruction was in the readme file. That has worked. Getting close to where I was, but now I can't set the authenticator. :( Will work it out I'm sure.