HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

VanillaStats+ - Number of PrivateMessages, Active Users, User who posted, etc.

phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
edited May 2017 in Feedback

Hi all,

I would love to see more detailed stats on the health of my community. For that I'b great to have insights into for example:

• Number of Private Messages
  • Number of active Users
  • Number of user who wrote a minimum one+ posts
  • Top Posters Info Page for the dashboard (this month, last month, higher number of posters tan currently viewable ein the backend, maybe TopPosters Module of the Frontend is translateable to its own backend page easily)

Of course I can fetch this from my database, but that is uncomfortable and direct insights in the dashboard could tell everyone of us a lot more about our communities.

What would be your ideas for relevant metrics?

Best regards, phreak

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I like statistics being presented in a rolling period: always the last X days. Have you ever taken a look at the top users here at the beginning of a week? Totally useless...

I guess it would only make sense to show the numbers of the last 30 days and the last 12 month.

These are the metrics that I might think could be useful:

Users
    Number of registered users
    Number of active users: users who have logged in in the given period
    Number of new registrations
    Number of "dead" registrations: users with no activity and no second visit
    Number of "silent" registrations: users with no activity, but at least being logged in again

Forum Usage
    Number of new discussions
    Number of new comments
    Number of discussion+comment per category
    Number of new conversation messages
    Number of uploads by file extension and forum/PM
    Number of discussion+comment by day time

"External" Metrics
    Most common entry page
    Referrers

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

I agree with you. When I take your list, some of those statistics are already covered in the Vanilla Dashboard.

Users
    Number of registered users
    Number of new registrations

Forum Usage
    Number of new discussions
    Number of new comments

By the way, the statistic tool used in the Vanilla Dashboard is pretty neat. Question would be. Would that run under it's own settings page or on the Dashboard startpage?

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Info about the most active users and discussions come form your database.

The source for the statistics chart in your dashboard is Vanillas analytics server, not the database and the 4 graph types are hard coded in the corresponding view.

I would say, it would be more easy to do a complete overwork than trying to tweak the plugin. If you want to have something in the same look, you could clone the plugin and use its visuals as a blueprint. VanillaStats license is GPL.