Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Try Vanilla Forums Cloud product

Ready to contribute?

Amazing! Sign our contributors' agreement and then join us on GitHub.

Update for critical security issue in PHPMailer included in release Vanilla 2.3.1

Vanilla Statistics: The addon could not be enabled because it generated a fatal error:

I was originally on 2.2.1 and noticed the hanging statistics screen. However, I thought since the upgrade to 2.3.1 was overdue, I upgraded and everything seemed to turn out well. I thought it might clear up the matter.

Some plugins such as OpenID, Google Sign In, Twitter Social Connect, FB Social Connect were not working but I did some research online and found that PHP settings necessary and made the changes on Bluehost and they all work great now.

However, despite my best searches online, I cannot seem to find what Vanilla Statistics is looking for. It worked for many months in the early 2.x series but noticed it stopped working on 2.2.1. It just hangs with the progress bar. I even disabled all my plugins to see if Vanilla Stats would clear up. I deleted the Vanilla Stats plug in folder at the server and reinstalled from the 2.3.1. Still doesn't work.

Obviously, I am missing something here. Can someone tell me what Vanilla Stats is looking for? The error message being generated is not helpful. I have run out of ideas.

Thank you in advance for any insight you might offer.

Comments

  • vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

    You can find out the exact error by looking at your error logs from where you host your forum. It can be a simple as a missing coma or some other syntax error.

  • Already looked in the error log. Nothing there. And regarding a missing comma or syntax error, there is not typing involved. You click to activate the plug-in. It either activates or doesn't.

  • I figured out the problem. I changed browsers from Chrome to Firefox to see if it would do the same and create the same error. It turns out that my Chrome adblocker was interfering the activation of the Vanilla Status plugin. Once I white-listed my own sites, Vanilla Stats activated and everything was live again. :-)

    Here, I was looking for PHP and other server related settings when it turns out it was my adblock gumming things up!

    vrijvlinderwhu606R_J
  • whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... Moderator

    Thanks for sharing your solution.

  • A clue was that the Vanilla stats icon was not displaying when the other plugin icons were. I found it peculiar. It eventually occurred to me perhaps my adblocker was interfering with the display of that icon. I was using the uBlock Adblock Plus on Chrome whereas Firefox was using a different adblocker.

    Bottom line, uBlock was too aggressive and blocked something essential for Vanilla stats to work.

    Interestingly, another site also had the same problem but when I re-activated Vanilla status, it turns out I didn't lose any traffic report info which was a pleasant surprise.

  • Thank you for this post! Really helpful!

Sign In or Register to comment.