Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Problemes with roles

Hello !

I have some problemes with roles.

When users register, they are assigned to all my custom roles at the same time ...

My first question: Is there an option to say: After register your role is that role ?

My second question: Is there a solution to completly reset roles, delete custom and restore defaults ?

Thanks for your time !

Comments

• Options

Actualy i have this :

• Options

I went into my database, I recreated the roles as if it was a proper installation.

Users who have just registered are assigned to the role "member" but have free access to the dashboard, like admins.

I do not understand that there is not a clear option to say "you're new, you're going here."

I lost too much time with Vanilla. I have used many cms on this server and I have never seen anything so non-intuitive.

I think I'll just join the mass and migrate to phpbb, sadly, because I do not like it at all.

I think a cms should not add work time, and my community can no longer wait.

Thank you for your help during these few days.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited June 2017

@illysane said:

I went into my database, I recreated the roles as if it was a proper installation.

Users who have just registered are assigned to the role "member" but have free access to the dashboard, like admins.

I do not understand that there is not a clear option to say "you're new, you're going here."

I lost too much time with Vanilla. I have used many cms on this server and I have never seen anything so non-intuitive.

I think I'll just join the mass and migrate to phpbb, sadly, because I do not like it at all.

I think a cms should not add work time, and my community can no longer wait.

Thank you for your help during these few days.

The thing I hate the most is people threatening to use something else because they can't make Vanilla work. It is a waste of time to help people only to have them say they are dropping Vanilla for some inferior product. From now on I will only help people who will promise not to move to some inferior product because they are having difficulties and lack the patience to be helped to solve a problem.

Vanilla works right out of the box with minimal tweaking if there is a problem. I have 6 installations I manage and have not found any problems that would make me want me to use inferior software. Good luck...

• Options

I just want to clarify some points.

I do not say that Vanilla is too hard to use. Personally I find the community of Vanilla quite responsive. On the other hand, I have a community wainting that his forum come back.

It is the same thing in a professional environement. I have two products, the 1st is 100% of what I want but the setting is too long, the 2nd is 90% of what I want but is set up in less time (in no time).

This is called an alternative and it is something to consider in project management.

I am a fullstack developer, I do not lack knowledge. Now if I make the choice to use a CMS, I would like to no read and rewrite all the code, and act manualy in the database to make thing work.

Vanilla seems great, realy, and I will probably recommend it to people starting from scratch. But in the case of a migration all this seems too tedious.

I hope you can understand that.

Last thing, you say: "dropping Vanilla for some inferior product". I think it's not a good attitude.
    Open source softs are a world of freedom and alternatives, not a world of "I'm better than all others"

Bye and thanks again !