Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Anyone Developing v2.3 Plug Ins?

I just installed and built my 1st Vanilla Forum and I am really please with the appearance and ease of it-however i am disappointed that there are so few plug ins for 2.3 and after many searches it seems few are being developed. I am used to buying plugins and mods for my other software for prices starting at $20 and up...Is there any place where development is happening and modern plug ins can be purchased?
It's really a shame because Vanilla is a beautiful platform and I would not expect everyone to develop free plug-ins
Thank you for any help

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

No there is no place where plugins are traded for money.

I recommend IP.Board. Not only do you have to pay for plugins, you also have to pay for the forum script itself - doesn't that sound far superior to Vanilla? :wink:

I think you are right that a marketplace where developers can earn money might attract more developers and skilled developers and I'm also sad that there are so few plugin developers out there.

The more developers, the more plugins and concurrency would most probably raise the quality of some of the plugins.

But no, there is no such marketplace for Vanilla. But you have this community where you get solutions to most of your problems. That's not so bad either.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

I have a Swamp in Florida for sale !! :P

• rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

@derrickhand300, you may not expect anyone to develop for free but in the open world people do. Take a look at the large list of add-ons.

If you need something specific open a new discussion and ask for it specifically.

• @derrickhand300 Jokes aside, this is a strange framework in my opinion. People here expect you to figure things out much on your own.. but the forum can be helpful as well. I have chosen to stick it out mostly because I have some experience with php and scripting, and because the platform has some potential contemporary aspirations accompanied with some features that "just work". Anyway, to your question: What the add-on's and plug-in's website doesn't tell you is that many of them (that don't say explicitly that they are compatible) actually are compatible with 2.3. This forum usually tells you to just try them. It wasn't clear to me that you knew that, so I thought I'd mention it.

Continuing rant TLDR; Now, for anyone trying to operate a professional business, I agree 100% that this isn't a great system. Professional businesses need solutions, which include instruction / documentation, and Vanilla's answer to that professional issue is to use their paid system. It's a bummer, but it is what it is and we are left on our own. Good news is that, so far, if you have some time to spend, it seems one can make things work... especially with a few good comments from lister's, such as R_J.

....now.. when we get to 2.4.. who knows about add-ons? :-)

• I think you are right there issue disinsensitivising maintaining plugins, coming from a developer.

Breaking changes which aren't documented, and lack of time to figure these things out. Addon makers aren't given enough of a heads ups IMO. Which is why support for addons has petered out.

There is also some pluign i would like to prune as I won't be able to maintain them or are redundant (ahem Vanilla 1)

I'm happy to be paid to maintain my plugins but 20$ doesn't buy you anything.

grep is your friend.

• Sorry I mean $20 might buy you a licence, it won't buy you development time.

grep is your friend.

• @x00 said:
    Sorry I mean $20 might buy you a licence, it won't buy you development time.

Yes thats all I meant...for instance i just spent over an our trying EVERY RSS feed to DISCUSSION module in the plug in marketplace and not a single one worked...I would much rather pay $20 for a plug in that worked rather than spend hours installing plug ins that dont.
    I am not a developer-I am just someone that wanted to start a small forum for dog owners- just a handful of people...I cant pay $600 per month to Vanilla for this of course.. I read so many GREAT reviews of Vanilla on the web so i spent days learning what I could ( again not a developer) after setting up a forum that looks great i find there is none of the basic functionality available even to purchase...
    Im stuck because mine was not an important or money making project- just something I wanted to try for my friends to have a private place on the web...and i cannot redo all the work on a more user friendly modern platform..
    Thanks everyone for your advice...but this opensource Vanilla is in my opinion " in its dying quivers"

• @R_J said:
    No there is no place where plugins are traded for money.

I recommend IP.Board. Not only do you have to pay for plugins, you also have to pay for the forum script itself - doesn't that sound far superior to Vanilla? :wink:

I think you are right that a marketplace where developers can earn money might attract more developers and skilled developers and I'm also sad that there are so few plugin developers out there.

The more developers, the more plugins and concurrency would most probably raise the quality of some of the plugins.

But no, there is no such marketplace for Vanilla. But you have this community where you get solutions to most of your problems. That's not so bad either.

Thank you- I will see what the cost is to migrate my work to IP Board- I appreciate your suggestion