Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

[bug] Markdown 1.0.1c problems with quoting, indentation in IE

Andy KAndy K
edited August 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Hey all, hoping that Michel Fortin is hanging around.

If you have a forum with Markdown extension running, you can see the following:

1: Put a quote using the greater than sign like this:

> This is a Quote in Markdown.

Then add a line of text like this. Repeat:

> This is a Quote in Markdown. Then add a line of text like this. Repeat: > This is a Quote in Markdown. Then add a line of text like this. Repeat: > This is a Quote in Markdown. Then add a line of text like this. Repeat:

You will see that each time the line of text after the quote indents to the left a little more, and by the third or fourth quote the rest of the text and layout of the thread is pretty much broken when viewing using IE. There is no problem with Mozilla.

Fixable? Just putting it on the radar.

Thanks!
-Andy

Comments

• Options
    Thats odd. Suspecting tags that aren't closing properly, but looking at the source, its OK.

I tested with IE 6.0, and was not able to duplicate it.

Test is here. Does it happen there with your IE? If so, what version?
  • Options
    Hey man, thanks! Yeah, I looked at your site, and with IE 6.0 it's working fine. Here's mine: http://www.story-games.com/forums/comments.php?DiscussionID=1155 Just reconfirmed that mine is still broke in IE 6.0. Crap, I guess that means if our versions of Markdown are the same, and it's independent of Style (it is), it is probably something with one extension interfering with another... hmmm... I'll do more testing later and see what turning off some extensions does. -Andy
  • Options
    I remember have read something about that in a blog. It's related to the style, and to the border. I don't remember the fix, but I will try to find the article.
  • Options
    OK, I have reproduced the error--by adding your 'Quotations/quote.css' file on my site. The bug is with quotations, not markdown. (but only manifests itself when markdown is doing the quoting?)
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    OK, it is caused by the combination of these two lines in .CommentBody blockquote{}:

padding:8px 16px; border-left: 6px solid #ACBEDF;
    Remove either, and its OK. Oddly, you can also change the top-bottom padding (8px) to zero, and the bug disappears.

EDIT: Bug is known as Magik Creeping Text and can be fixed either by adding display: inline-block; or a bottom border of at least one pixel.
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Hmm, I'll fix that sometime this weekend.

Silly IE.
  • Options
    Thanks dude, you're a scholar and a gentleman! -Andy
This discussion has been closed.