Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Can JIRA Service Desk be integrated?

In my vision we have a partner / customer forum which may not be publicly available. Within this closed community I thought about letting customers create a JIRA Service Desk ticket right out of a forum discussion. Anything like that possible or planned?

Answers

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

You are asking if it is possible to create a JIRA ticket from Vanilla. I might be wrong but I think that you should better ask a question like "Does JIRA offer some kind of REST API to create a ticket from another software" and that question should be asked to some JIRA guys.

Generally spoken, it would be no problem to create a Vanilla plugin that does a call to some API whenever a new discussion is created. In a plugin you could restrict that to questions in given categories or a plugin could create something like you could see here: users can decide to start a discussion or ask a question. A plugin could be written that "Open a Ticket"

• Options

As far as I know JIRA does offer a REST API.

I do not plan that every discussion created automatically creates a JIRA ticket. It could be more like this:

• Partners or customers discuss some topics in the forum
    • They can't come up with a solution themselves, so the reporter of the discussion can create a JIRA Service Desk ticket. This could be done by clicking a button that then creates this ticket. The support team does not have to be too active within the community, but they would still get it if help is needed as the members of the community cannot solve it themselves.
  • Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Writing such a plugin shouldn't be hard if there is a REST API available from JIRA. I'm not sure if you have developers at hand, but if you have, send them to this discussion:

1. Look at the spli/merge plugin to see how the dropdown menu of a discussion can be extended
    2. Look at the flagging plugin to see a good example of a plugin that allows some user interaction before the real action happens
    3. You will need the ProxyRequest class for the API call. Do a fulltext search in the Vanilla repo (and the Vanilla/Addons repo) for some examples

But I must say that most of my answers to your questions will be "yes, it can be done". But it might always include development efforts. Your developers would get support here, but nevertheless they would have to master a learning curve, but a very gentle one.

• Options

Thanks! I really need to go over that with some devs. Thanks for sharing!