Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Basecamp style interface

edited July 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Hi all, I'vebeen fiddling for an hour or so with the global stylesheet. Im going for a look very similar to my basecamp project management account page. I've not done the login/signup stuff yet, but please, do log-in using test/test/ or register and let me know how its looking.

here
user:test
pass:test

Cheers
Stuart.

Comments

• Options
    that is really nice. i like it a lot.
  • Options
    you know what i find interesting is that nobody has really done a style sheet (that i have seen) that fundamentally changes vanilla... everything is just switching the colours. i think my next one will be a drastic change of how this place looks.
  • Options
    3stripe3stripe ✭✭
    edited July 2005
    my first skin is going to be black/white/grey/red... oh yeah.....
  • Options
    Jonezy > I thought that too from looking at the other styles offered here, but this thing is still young, and I'm sure once people begin to realise what it can do in terms of adaptability, there will be some much more adventurous styles designed. In this case, I was simply trying to emulate another system which was a simple job, next its full integration into an exsisting site - that should be good fun.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    stuart - it's funny, but when I first launched the beta of Vanilla a few months ago, I had a number of people get qutie upset because it looked so similar to Basecamp. Eventually I realized that Vanilla just wasn't ready for release, so I stopped accepting members to the beta version. Then, a few months later, I went back and removed all of the applicants that had been applying and I found that Jason Fried had applied for membership. It was far too late to accept his application - I doubt he'd even remember applying. But it would have been interesting to hear his thoughts :)
  • Options
    I think vanilla would appeal to the 'less is more' or 'user focused software' sensibility that 37signals approaches all of its products with. Im really enjoying digging around, and your CSS is a joy to rip apart ;) seriously though, very easy to get it looking how I wanted to so far, I'm just going to get to work on the forms.
  • Options
    3stripe3stripe ✭✭
    edited July 2005
    some feedback on your basecamp style, which i use at work, so know a wee bit... 1. need some different levels of type imo... maybe '36 Degrees Discussion', and the selected tab's text in the navbar should be in bold, etc. 2. there should be a 1pixel gab between each tab, even the unselected ones (if you're being penickity, it will help define them though) 3. maybe a subtle implimention of the famour yellow fade technique could be nice, behing just posted messages, etc? (http://www.37signals.com/svn/archives/000558.php) good luck , very nice so far!
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I use basecamp to manage my projects as well. My clients think it's okay. I love it.
  • Options
    Don't get me started on Basecamp... it is great.. but full of holes... and some serious security flaws as well.. but yeah, it's UI is sweet like chocolate.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    edited July 2005
    I noticed they did some upgrades to the todo list yesterday. I kinda preferred the bigger inputs. My todos tend to get rather long. but I like how it's all ajax'd up.
  • Options
    i made a couple more significant changes on my style sheet! not just color changes!
  • Options
    OK guys, my forum is live and kicking, feel free to sign up.
This discussion has been closed.