Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Ubuntu

edited August 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I have never used Linux before. 4 years ago, my friend tried to sell me on it, but that was back when I couldn't really do everything I wanted to do (organize photos, design websites, listen to music, anything other then talking on Gaim and surfing the net). But, now Ubuntu has been released and I'm starting to wonder if I should give it a shot. I have an crappy laptop just lying around not doing a whole lot. I'm considering installing it onto that machine.

Those who have used Ubuntu and like it, can you give me some tips? Those who have used Ubuntu and don't like it, explain why.

Is it much harder then trying to learn XP/OSX?

Comments

• Options
    IMHO, it is harder than learning how to use MacOS X. To give you an example: I have to use Esperanto, the international language, quite a lot. Esperanto uses some unusual accented letters (ĉ, ŝ, ĥ, ĝ, ĵ and ŭ). It is extremely easy to type just about any character, in any Unicode-supported language, using MacOS X, right out-of-the-box - and that kind of text capacity, given by the system, is present in just about every program you run on it. I downloaded Ubuntu, installed it in an 'old' Mac, and struggled for 4 days, trying to figure out how to type the Esperanto characters. After leaving messages in the Ubuntu Forum, I was given instructions on how to build - from scratch, using a text file - a new keyboard description file that would support my characters. This, of course, was not a problem exclusive of Esperanto characters. I found it hard to find how to type French, German and Portuguese accented characters, as well. I have to say, though, that Ubuntu users seem to really like their system. I think once these initial setup and configuration problems are overcome, the system is probably quite enjoyable and useful - but don't expect it to be totally usable out-of-the-box. I, unfortunately, have been spoiled for too long by my Mac experience. I can't tell you how it compares to Windows, because I don't know it that well. I hope this helps.
  • Options
    I downloaded it and it is stuck on the installation, why I don't know. So I won't bother.
  • Options
    Wow, icouto, I figured all Linux distros would have good support for that, I mean half the developers are from countries where English is a second language... :/ I'm using Ubuntu right now, it is good, although considering the amount of work you have to do to get the correct video card drivers installed it might not be ready for non-technical use (All distros have the same problem, thanks nVidia, ATI...). However, it is great at the same time for anyone slightly technical because most things you'll want to try have been tried before and written about, so you'll have some instruction on how to do what you want.
  • Options
    Ubuntu is great ... why? because most of the tasks you wanna do or problems you will run through have been documented by the huge community through the forums and the faqs around the net ... I don't know about other languages but I was able to use Arabic after a little problem with the keyboard changer .... Anyway I use Xubuntu with the XFCE desktop('Ubuntu' alone contains the Gnome desktop) because it is light and suitable for my turtle .. so yes .. use Xubuntu for that old computer you have ... To give you an advice ...wait for the coming release of Ubuntu ... named Edgy Eft then download it and you will be impressed ...
  • Options
    I used Ubuntu for a while, right before Breezy Badger came out officially.

If you are moving from Windows to Ubuntu, and are going to be using it as an alternative, I think it is great. From a Linux stand point I am sure the "geeky" nix guys don't care for it, as it has a lot of GUI menus, and "wizards" and such. Most of everything in Ubuntu can be done via a GUI of some sort. Making the transition from Windows nice and smooth. I installed it on a dual boot system and ended up using it for 3 months straight without booting to Windows. But then fell back to MS cause of a few certain programs. :(

I really enjoyed it though. But be prepared to learn some Linux commands. It is not all 100% GUI, and some dirty work will be required from time to time.

I had a small issue with getting my NVidia card working, but I was also trying to get Enemy Territory to run. Normal desktop usage I had to problems with at all.

I used it primarily for website coding, and my own local testing server, worked great. Much better than Windows ever will. But if you want to listen to MP3s I believe you have to do some "work" to get them to work in Linux. Although that might have changed, dunno.

Also, the Ubuntu forums are freaking great. Tons of support from the community. I tried Fedora a long time ago, and hated it. It put me off of Linux for quite some time, but Ubuntu was awesome.

There is a LiveCD which you can download. It allows you to play with Ubuntu (although it might be a little slow depending on hardware, as it runs in your RAM) without making any changes to your HDD at all. Consider the LiveCD as a test drive. I'd recommend downloading that and checking it out before committing and installing it.
  • Options
    i heard linux is just a bastard version of mac os x more of a play toy for bored geeks ?
  • Options
    haha. mac os x is a 'bastard version' of linux, not the other way round.
  • Options
    from what i've read, linux was part of bsd ? or something can't remember, but the article definately put osx above linux in every way that one whopps another lol
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Dammit people, do a little research before saying silly things. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bsd http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mach_%28kernel%29 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_%28operating_system%29 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_%28Linux_distribution%29
  • Options
    I like Ubuntu. The only thing I really do on the computer is programming, internet and msn and music and all of those things can be done on Linux so I was happy to get rid of windows. To my surprise all my hardware didn't need anything doing to it - it just worked. Yes; codecs and stuff need to be installed but that's not too painful.
    Evan, is the installer actually not working or is it just going really slowly. It happened to me too. If you're using the newest release (6.06) then when you boot up you should get a few options. Instead of choosing the top one try the one underneath. The installer is still slow but its more bearable.
  • Options
    "from what i've read, linux was part of bsd ? or something can't remember, but the article definately put osx above linux in every way that one whopps another lol"

Go read all those links that Bergamot posted as well as this one before you make crazy statements like that. Mac OS X is essentially just Darwin with a pretty aqua interface. I'll pay for the stability and ease of use that brings, but I don't think OS X is superior to linux because of it.

Anyways, back on topic: Definitely try out Xubuntu first, if you have an older machine. It uses a window-manager called xfce instead of gnome or kde (what Ubuntu uses). Xfce is really lightweight but still has all the features you will need. You can always install gnome or kde on top of Xubuntu as an afterthought. I installed Xubuntu from the Live CD on a PII 600MHz with 512MB RAM, a crappy graphics card with 32MB VRAM and a 5200RPM HDD. The install took just under 23 minutes.
  • Options
    I have always wanted to switch to some sort of Linux desktop. But none of them seem to work on my computer. The hardware is seriously not old at all - but the only flavors that will run are DSL (Damn Small Linux) and Puppy Linux. All others poop out as it is loading the GUI. I just get a black screen and no more loading noise from the computer.

I have no clue what I need to fix to get it running, and I have never really been able to find help on the subject without having to do some major kernel hacking - which I am not really up to level enough to do with confidence. That's a shame because I would really like to try Linux. I have tried Fedora Core, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Gentoo, SLAX, Slackware, Knoppix, and Debian. None of them get past the loading screen. It's a shame.
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Aside from all those other links that people posted, try reading this humourous story from Neal Stephenson, called "In the beginning was the command line..." http://www.cryptonomicon.com/beginning.html Most modern opreating systems are the bastard offsprings of UNIX except windows, which is just a bastard! ;) Good choice for optiong to use Ubuntu. Stuff the *nix geeks if they dont care for it Krak - Ubuntu is what will help people get off from the closed propreitry system that is windows. Linux has been screaming out for a long time for a system built for normal everyday desktop users. Ubuntu has loads of great features but I would suggest, like Krak, to learn a few basic *nix commands and get aquainted with the CLi [terminal or command line interface] - it can be a powerful ally. There are some really good books that can help you to understand *nix systems better and once you do, you will wonder why you ever used windoze at all. I would recommend "Think Unix" by John Lassiter as a good way to understand file structures, basic commands and the sheer raw power that lays within that OS and how to harness it. Personally, I couldnt do all I wanted on Ubuntu [it didnt install devel files for a start where as fedora did] and ended up on Fedora but then I run my web server on it and code sites as well. The only thing I run windows for is because I own lots of msuic software and havent quite got to grips with the whole fine tuning for audio yet but I had no problems installing Nvidia drivers [on dual monitors], audio & video codecs and any software that I run on windows but all open source. Krak, what were the softs that you kept falling back to windows to use? Could you not use VMWare or wine?
  • Options
    Photoshop and Dreamweaver, not to mention... I am a gamer.

I found dual-booting very cumbersome.

Dreamweaver I have since pretty much abandoned and can live without. When I was in Linux land I used BlueFish. It was decent. Although it was too far back and I cant remember how it compares to Zend Studio, which I love.

Photoshop I did try to use under Wine, but it does not support CS or CS2, only 7 (at the time anyways). And going down from CS/CS2 to 7 is just... unbearable. I did try Wine and PS7, but it was too buggy. And the GIMP (a four-letter word) is not even a choice (IMO).

Although as of late I have found that I have not fired up PS for some time, other than simple images resizing/cropping. So I probably could try Linux again, but games. I need my games. Which lately I have also, not played. But I will, and I do. I am also a very stubborn person, lol.

But I really liked Ubuntu, it was a very enjoyable experience.
  • Options
    Krak, you might be interested to know that CS(and 2) works with recent builds of wine, including the build in Ubuntu 6.06, although there are still a few issues, like sometimes crashing when using the Open/Save dialogs and the Tool windows staying ontop of everything, even outside of Photoshop, it is still bearable. To avoid having saving issues, the first thing I do when creating a new document is save it, then I can just press Ctrl+S and I'm safe. I still have Windows installed for gaming, but UT2004 runs on Linux, so I've still got something to play :P
  • Options
    the Apple will always RULE!!! ;-)
  • Options
    haha 'sometimes crashing when using the open/save dialogs'....I'm pretty sure the most annoying time a program could possibly crash is when trying to save the piece of work you just spent hours on... :D
  • Options
    garvin: Is it much harder then trying to learn XP/OSX?
    Its no harder or easier than learning any other operating system. Everything is there and you just need to explore to figure stuff out - just like you did when you started with windows.

The problem that I found was that after using win/dos for 15 years I knew the windows-way of doing things, and it was tricky to unlearn that.
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Chiskop said, "The problem that I found was that after using win/dos for 15 years I knew the windows-way of doing things, and it was tricky to unlearn that."

I've gone back and forth from PC to Mac between jobs without issues, so I'm not really worried that I won't be able to use it once loaded. What I am concerned about is actually installing it and getting it to the point that I have an desktop-like interface. That's what I want. But, I'm getting the feeling that "out-of-the-box," it isn't the most usable systems just yet. This disapoints me.

bugsmi0 said, "the Apple will always RULE!!! ;-)"

Yes, and if I had some money to drop, I'd get a mac as there is a lot of things I miss from working on a mac that I'd go back in an instant. But, I'm po. So pirating and testing Linux will have to do for now.
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    garvin, You get a desktop out of the box... if you grab plain ubuntu you get Gnome. Minisweeper, true, which is why I said save before you start ;)
This discussion has been closed.