Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Notify 0.2: Request for Modifications

edited December 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Notify 0.2 "enables users to subscribe to the complete forum, categories or single discussions to be notified about new comments/discussions."

I tried e-mailing the author, however, I haven't received a reply, so I'll see if anyone here can modify the extension as needed.

The committee of the San Diego Chapter of the International Game Developers Association uses Vanilla+Notify primarily as an internal document sharing (via the Attachment extension) and event organization bulletin board. Since our members are extremely busy professionals in the games industry, e-mail is the optimal method of contacting these individuals. E-mail notification allows our members to stay updated on active discussions and shared documents.

There are several issues with the Notify extension that hinder this capability though.
  • 1. The Notify extension sends a brief message to users notifying them that "something" has been posted. This is not useful. We need the Notify extension to send the fulltext of the message that was posted, and the subject of the message posted should be affixed to the e-mail prefixed with "[igda-sandiego]" (e.g., "[igda-sandiego] Workshop Plan".) Ideally, the extension should allow for easy customization of the notification e-mail.
  • 2. The Notify extension requires that users who receive notifications to access the forum before the extension will send out future notifications. This is not useful. We are not interested in requiring our members to access the board. We are only interested in providing them with information via the board.
  • 3. The Notify extension does not send e-mail notifications by default. Users must enable one of the two options provided to receive e-mail notifications. While this is generally a nicety for communities where e-mail notifications are not necessary, we need to enable e-mail notifications by default. The options should be extended.
If we can resolve these issues, I'll happily evangelize Vanilla and recommend the application to other chapters.

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    bump
  • Options
    I get the following warning at the top of every page when I activate Notify 0.2:
    Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated - argument passed by value; If you would like to pass it by reference, modify the declaration of [runtime function name](). If you would like to enable call-time pass-by-reference, you can set allow_call_time_pass_reference to true in your INI file. However, future versions may not support this any longer. in /path/to/vanilla/extensions/Notify/default.php on line 224
  • Options
    There's also a typo on line 152 of default.php in the Notify extensions folder. The line reads

$Whipsered = 0;

It should really be

$Whispered = 0;
  • Options
    Jameson, is it just me or do both lines (the error and the correction) have the axact same thing in them?
  • Options
    The "s" and "p" are transposed.
  • Options
    Not sure why has this turned into a support thread? Going back to the original requests by mramsay, some of the suggestions are useful especially for a closed community who does not or cannot access the board frequently. They would also make the extension more powerful and flexible.
  • Options
    TomTesterTomTester New
    edited October 2006
    bump (on the more info in notification issue) Also, It seems version 0.2 does NOT actually look in conf/language.php for alternate texts. Only hacking it into the addo-on actually changes the texts used.
  • Options
    I would like to jump on mramsay's original request by adding that I would also like users to automatically be notified every time a whisper is sent to them. It would make life a lot easier.
  • Options
    I also get the same error message as Sumul.
  • Options
    Is there a way for me to automatically subscribe new users?
  • Options
    Having a problem with Notify 0.2 on Vanilla 1.0.3 I get this error Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated - argument passed by value; If you would like to pass it by reference, modify the declaration of [runtime function name](). If you would like to enable call-time pass-by-reference, you can set allow_call_time_pass_reference to true in your INI file. However, future versions may not support this any longer. in /home/.waldorf/pasopedcom/pasopedigree.com/Forum/extensions/default.php on line 224 Any suggestions? Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.