Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Try Vanilla Forums Cloud product
Vanilla 2.6 is here! It includes security fixes and requires PHP 7.0. We have therefore ALSO released Vanilla 2.5.2 with security patches if you are still on PHP 5.6 to give you additional time to upgrade.

Articles 1.2.0 Released

This discussion is related to the Articles addon.
ShadowdareShadowdare π Moderator
edited November 2017 in Feedback

Articles 1.2.0 has been released and fully supports Vanilla 2.3.1.

Major changes in v1.2.0 since v1.1.1:
- Category-based permission model.
- AttributionUserID column gone; now using InsertUserID.
- Bug fixes and style improvements. See full commit history via the GitHub repository.

Caveat of v1.2.0:
- Old global Articles permissions will not get transferred over to each category; any customized permissions in previous versions of Articles will have to be reconfigured per category in v1.2.0.

How to install:
*This add-on is an application, not a plugin.

1. Extract this download to your Vanilla installation's /applications folder. It should have a folder named articles inside of it now.
  2. Enable the Articles application via the "Applications" page in your Vanilla's dashboard.

How to upgrade:
*If you're upgrading to Articles 1.2.0 from an older version and have modified the role permissions related to Articles, you must reconfigure your permissions since global permissions have been replaced with category-based permissions.

1. Extract this download to your Vanilla installation's /applications folder. Overwrite old application files.
  2. Go to the "Applications" page in your Vanilla's dashboard and then disable and re-enable the Articles application for updates to apply.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app | Publish articles with the Articles app

R_JrbrahmsonharyonoK17Flower420

Comments

• K17K17 Unlosk · Français / French ✭✭✭

Great :D You did an awesome work and you continue :D I think we're al happy to have you here :D

Shadowdare
  • Great! But an issues with the default mobile themes for opensource.
    Can only see the articles and categories but can't creat one.

Hope you could fix this mate! Great app for vanilla

Shadowdare
  • ShadowdareShadowdare π Moderator
    edited December 2017

@K17, you're welcome and thank you! :)

@Ewap, I put mobile theme links/compatibility on the list of issues to look at.

Since Vanilla 2.5 has just been released, I will test the app out with it and see how it works. If anyone else is already using Articles with Vanilla 2.5, let me know if there's any issues with compatibility.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app | Publish articles with the Articles app

K17
  • (V2.5) When trying to enable the Articles application from the dashboard I get a "Specified key was too long; max key length is 767 bytes" error.

• "Specified key was too long; max key length is 767 bytes" error.

Apparently an InnoDB/MySQL v 5.6 problem. Circumvated for now by changing varchar(255) to varchar(191) in the two unique columns instructure.php.

Now the app is enabled from the dashboard.

ShadowdareR_J
  • If I edit a category the app will give me an error "The specified URL code is already in use by another category." when trying to save the changes.

• ShadowdareShadowdare π Moderator
    edited January 10

@stackmouse said:

"Specified key was too long; max key length is 767 bytes" error.

Apparently an InnoDB/MySQL v 5.6 problem. Circumvated for now by changing varchar(255) to varchar(191) in the two unique columns instructure.php.

Now the app is enabled from the dashboard.

Thank you for testing that!

This is probably related to Vanilla's recent change from utf8 to utf8mb4 database character encoding. I would like to keep the unique keys with the Article and ArticleCategory tables' UrlCode columns, so I'll go with your varchar(191) fix.

I'm not sure if reducing the varchar max length would cause long UrlCode values to be truncated or just error out. Most article names aren't that long anyway.

@stackmouse said:
    If I edit a category the app will give me an error "The specified URL code is already in use by another category." when trying to save the changes.

I haven't seen this error in my testing so far.