Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Try Vanilla Forums Cloud product

Image resizing for users via the WYSIWYG?

Hello, we're trying to figure out a way to reduce bandwidth usage as we have a lot of users that upload very high resolutions images to their posts. We noticed that there is no resizing being done. So, if they upload a 4k image for example, even though the picture in the post looks like it's only 700px or so wide, it's actually still serving the 4k resolution version to the browser.

I didn't see any plugins that add any additional compression/resizing to images, has anyone implemented something like this? Or do people just typically end up using the Imgur plugin in order to save on bandwidth?

Comments

• Is this the wrong subforum for this kind of post maybe?

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

You could try this configuration, put it inside the config.php file

$Configuration['Garden']['UploadImage']['Quality']='50';

• R_JR_J Cheerleader & Troubleshooter Munich Moderator

@joren said:
    Is this the wrong subforum for this kind of post maybe?

No, it's just that it would need (advanced?) JavaScript skills to do so. I assume you are using the Advanced Editor. Look at this line: https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/blob/release/2.5a/plugins/editor/js/editor.js#L1029-L1031

There is a check if the files size is above a file limit (configurable, I guess it is 1MB). Later on the upload is denied when the file is too large.

Instead of that there should be a check if this file is an image and if yes, it must be resized down to a configurable maximum size.

I don't think you could hook somehow into this process so you would have to change the code around lines 1056 - 1082
    By now it follows this logic

if (validSize && validFile && !fileAlreadyExists) {
        // here is the upload logic
    } else {
        // File dropped is not allowed!
        // Create and show error message
    }

It must look like that:

if (
        !validFile ||
        fileAlreadyExists ||
        (!validSize && extension not in (jpg, png etc.))
    ) {
        // File dropped is not allowed!
        // Create and show error message
    } else {
        if (!validSize) {
            // reduce image size
        }
        // here is the upload logic
    }

You "only" need to find out how to reduce this file....

K17