Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Andy K's Vanilla New Styles Contest! Cash Prize

2»

Comments

• Options
    @blizeH senseless why because you don't agree ? your dwarf pointed ear irrates me as well ;-) you need to let people have their say you are not special just because you have a capital H in your name,

ok Mini you got me there themes do require alittle more I understand and of course respect the process, I meant the design itself is better to be a personal thing vs cookie cutter templates you see that look boring once everyone is using it, I'm all for templates I was stating my thought on not to make it too easy otherwise you'll look like everyone else on the block, there's enough bla same looking box templates all over the web, there's a big lacking in creativity if you ask me the fun is the search for answers and watching your site uniquely grow from your hard labor,we'll see how it goes, I would hate to see Vanilla turn into something stale,
  • Options
    While i agree it's nice for people to create their own themes and styles for many people this isnt an option they're willing to take (I, for one, suck at design. I'd rather have a nicely designed site which was in danger of being common than something I put together myself which sucks) So on that note, I think that Andy K's contest will actually help vanilla *avoid* becoming stale because at present a vanilla forum can look 1 of 2 ways (based on the addons site). Wouldnt you much rather it looked 1 of 10 ways?
  • Options
    Hey all, thanks for the support and all. Still, I'd like to move further discussion/reaction offline if possible, to clear the thread for:

1) Contributors (Code or Cash)
    2) Questions/Concerns about the contest itself

Thanks!
    -Andy
  • Options
    How about the first weekish in Oct. I could pitch in if it can wait til advertisers pay (usually between 4th-7th of each month).
  • Options
    How about the first weekish in Oct. I could pitch in if it can wait til advertisers pay (usually between 4th-7th of each month).

Do you mean 'piching in' money? Hmmm. If you can pay the winner within 2 weeks or so of October 9th then there's no problem. But if there's any concern about "what happens if my advertisersdon't pay me on time" and the like, I'd rather not have people commit to sending in money that they are not 100% positive that they can guarantee (just because that's harsh for the winner).

But if you can guarantee it in that timeframe, then feel free to list the amount and I'll count you in.

-Andy
  • Options
    why not make a contest paypal account or something that say mark could keep and use to pay people from
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    @bjrn first of all you are mistaken that I pointed fingers at Andy go back and read what was really said instead of adding to it what you thought was being said :-) I was saying in general some people who set these contests up do so for self recognition and not for community interests, you don't have to beleive it that's your choice but I happen to know it to be fact, I didn't contradict myself perhaps you are in contradiction with yourself ? I have nothing against Andy or the contest for that matter I was stating an observation only and no need to get your panties wet over it, personally I don't care if you don't like the way I said it, I didn't say it for you so go crawl in a corner with the rest of the slugs ;-) just kidding brjn

how about make the reward with the > buy me a drink - extension that sounds like a winner - winner receives 100 beers on the wall
  • Options
    Andy KAndy K
    edited September 2006
    why not make a contest paypal account or something that say mark could keep and use to pay people from

For this first attempt, I'd rather not make it too complicated, and I'd rather not ask for people to send me/someone else 9read "anyone other than, say, Mark") money in advance. It would smell like a scam. I'd rather have people take it upon themselves to remember to pay themselves rather than ask people to pay an unverified Paypal account or something.

As for sending money to Mark: I'd wager that Mark's already busy as heck with stuff and wouldn't want to shoulder the responsibilities as "Treasurer".

However, if he chimes in here and wants to do so (which would be awesome), then I'll totally redirect everyone to just pay Mark directly in advance, then he can give the earnings to the Winners. It's easier that way, but again I didn't want to make Mark shoulder more work for a contest that wasn't his to begin with.

-Andy
  • Options
    bugsmi0. you really need to learn when to keep quiet. i haven't seen you contribute anything to vanilla or to this forum except negativity and stupid ideas. go.away.please.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Alright. I'm going to close this discussion.

Andy K, how about we have another crack at this in a new discussion. You start it and I'll make it sticky. Let's try to keep the negativity out of it this time around, everyone.

Personally I like the idea of a style/theme contest. Let's see what can be done with Vanilla :)
This discussion has been closed.