Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Copy Vanilla installation to other directory

In order to update from my current v2.2 installation to v2.5 without affecting my users I have tried the following:

• duplicated the Vanilla DB
  • copied the Vanilla folder (from /forum to /forum2)
  • edited the /forum2/conf/config.php settings to use the duplicated database
  • deleted /cache/*

My plan had been to apply the 2.5 update to this copy, make sure everything works, then switch to this installation.

However, when I open /forum2, I just get a blank page. No content at all.
I tried setting $Configuration['Debug'] = TRUE; but still no error message, nothing.

Only the forum seems to be affected; the complete dashboard seems functional when I go to /forum2/index.php?p=/dashboard/settings

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Are you sure you have copied all files, including hidden ones? Especially .htaccess...

• The two .htaccess files found in /forum:
    ./.htaccess
    ./library/vendors/Minify/.htaccess

are also present in /forum2

• RiverRiver MVP
    edited April 2018

@denbo said:
    The two .htaccess files found in /forum:
    ./.htaccess

did you modify it to reflect the new correct folder and uncomment it.

#RewriteBase /

if you get a blank page you can temporarily change this line

https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/blob/Vanilla_2.5.1/index.php#L13

ini_set('display_errors', 1);

some of the troubleshooting steps in this discussion may help also.

https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/31153/tutorial-a-fool-proof-way-to-do-a-vanilla-upgrade

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• Thank you for the hints!
    The RewriteBase line was inactive (commented out) in /forum so I left it untouched in the /forum2 folder.
    ini_set('display_errors', 1); did not help, I still get an empty page.

However, I now did the following, which is probably the same as the regular update process:

Still checking but looks good so far!

• @denbo said:
    Thank you for the hints!
    The RewriteBase line was inactive (commented out) in /forum so I left it untouched in the /forum2 folder.
    ini_set('display_errors', 1); did not help, I still get an empty page.

However, I now did the following, which is probably the same as the regular update process:

Still checking but looks good so far!

it is best to uncomment it and point it to the proper folder, even if it worked for you before, you need to make sure you are using the correct files from the correct folder.

https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/31153/tutorial-a-fool-proof-way-to-do-a-vanilla-upgrade

make sure you copy over uploads folder as well.

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• Ah, the uploads folder. Thanks for reminding.
    Now I renamed the old installation folder and the new installation still works fine, so I'm confident it's fixed now.
    Cheers!