HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

how to get correct site url when using javascript

jeongweejeongwee Vanilla version 2.6 ✭✭

how to get correct url when using javascript? like you can get the url by using {link path="/"} on default.master.tpl.

I want to change the background by using javascript.

The background-image changed when the page is load, but after i go to another page , the background-image disappeared.

I use this path to set the background-image, but it won't work after i go to another page.

document.getElementById("Body").style.backgroundImage="url(themes/Elegant/design/images/nontransparent/1.png)";

I check the url from chrome ,

after loading the url is http://localhost/vanilla/themes/Elegant/design/images/nontransparent/1.png and its working.

when i go to a discussion the url become http://localhost/vanilla/discussion/1/themes/Elegant/design/images/nontransparent/1.png and its not working now.

so the background-image been broken after you go to another page.

anyone has knows how to fix it on this case?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• jeongweejeongwee Vanilla version 2.6 ✭✭
    edited July 2018

oh, my bad javascript has its way to get it by use document.location.origin.

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited July 2018

You can retrieve the root-relative path of Vanilla with gdn.url('/');. This will work even if Vanilla is in a sub-directory.

For your image, you can do:

document.getElementById("Body").style.backgroundImage = "url(" + gdn.url('/themes/Elegant/design/images/nontransparent/1.png') + ")";

"gdn" is a global library that is provided on the page by Vanilla's global.js.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• jeongweejeongwee Vanilla version 2.6 ✭✭

@Shadowdare said:
    You can retrieve the root-relative path of Vanilla with gdn.url('/');. This will work even if Vanilla is in a sub-directory.

For your image, you can do:

document.getElementById("Body").style.backgroundImage = "url(" + gdn.url('/themes/Elegant/design/images/nontransparent/1.png') + ")";

"gdn" is a global library that is provided on the page by Vanilla's global.js.

ty man that is usefull.