Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to upgrade from 2.0.18 to 2.6?

This discussion was created from comments split from: Vanilla 2.6 is here - includes security fixes.

Comments

• Hi I would appreciate some help with an upgrade from Version 2.0.18.1 to the latest. I have a forum that's been running since 2014. What's the best way to get some help? I have looked into it and just don't have the confidence to do this. I can't afford for the upgrade to go wrong. Any ideas?

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@dominic

Welcome to the community.

Have a look at this discussion:

https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/253007

• Thank you whu606 I have gone through this and to be honest it looks like you guys think it's easier than it is. I have tried to install a version of 2.6 but it's confusing if you don't have a one click install on your cpanel which I did have when I installed the forum the first time. I have migrated to another server that doesn't have that. I have tried setting up a fresh install but I don't know if I have the correct version or settings but I had no luck. This would still leave me with a live forum that is used regularly needing the upgrade. It sounds like the 2.6 version files could be dropped onto the older version apart from the config file and it would keep working? I also liked the idea of the Version 1 importer.. Does that work with version 2? I also looked for videos on youtube but I couldn't see anything to really help? I was wondering if there is someone who would do this upgrade for me? Is it something I should look on upwork for? Do you have people who do this?

• Wow that sounds great! Yes I have a backup. I will put the info together and contact you later today! Can you email me at dominicmiles@gmail.com when you are ready?

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Please don't expect me to do this at once! I will do this soon, but I would say we should agree on a time slot for that so that you can make sure that you can notify your users about that down time.

• Yes that's fine they need to know do you want to pick a date - Next Monday?

• @dominic said:
    Yes that's fine they need to know do you want to pick a date - Next Monday?

Whu pointed you to an informative thread, but the issue wasn't actually resolved there, as it ended up being discussed somewhere else. I upgraded from your exact version, and everything is now perfect, here's how I did it:

1. I exported my old db using Navicat
    2. created a new mysql database on new server
    3. Imported the db onto my new server using navicat again
    4. created another mysql database
    5. installed a fresh copy of 2.6
    6. dropped GDN_Permission and GDN_Role using phpmyadmin, from my old db
    7. grabbed GDN_Permission and GDN_Role from the fresh 2.6 install, and imported them into my old db
    8. changed config.php in 2.6 to point towards my old db
    9. ran /utility/update and /utility/structure
    10. completed.

Here's the thread, go to it for further help if you're stuck.

https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/36409/roles-permissions-role-edit-error-resolved#latest