HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla Cloud Template editing?

Hello,

I am extremely new to Vanilla - I've been assigned the task of customizing a theme for a forum. I was given access to the dashboard and from what I can tell the only real modification I can make are via the "Customize Theme" option. I've read up and worked with pockets a little bit and modified the base html as best as I can - but I'm looking in to how I can edit the actual theme itself to move things around / change their location / change their content or text / etc.

Is template file editing even a thing for the cloud based version of vanilla? I wasn't given any FTP credentials so I'm not certain if that exists or not. Am I stuck using the Customize Theme option?

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

This forum is only for the open source version, not for the hosted service. Therefore all questions are better answered by Vanilla staff. @Adrian will surely be able to connect you to the right persons. Until then you should look at the official documentation: https://docs.vanillaforums.com/developer/addons/theming-with-css/

You should be able to tweak css, but you will not be able to alter any of the views directly. Normally that shouldn't be needed/done anyway. A changed view introduces security risks and might keep you from updating. Custom css can do no harm like that.

• AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP

Hey @nkalscheur, @R_J has pointed you to the right docs. It’s the best place to start.

Without knowing your end customer, it’s hard for me to direct you to best avenue for more assistance. Depending on their plan, your customer has different levels of support/product features that could apply. If you want send me a PM with your customer details. This will help me direct you better. :)

Btw @R_J thanks for the mention :)

• Thank you both. I don't know why but it was impossible to find any piece of documentation clearly stating the hosted version does not give you any sort of file editing abilities. It seems like most of the stuff I'd like to accomplish can be done - with the correct file manipulation. Unfortunately I've been given this forum to work on in the hosted environment so I will have to make do with what I can accomplish with addons and the theme customizer.