Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

AMP Accelerated Mobile Pages

Hi guys,

I'm looking for accelerated mobile pages enmhancements for Vanilla. My theme is mobile responsive but I need every URL to contain/amp at the end which is URL version Google uses to rank mobile pages.

Is this possible with Vanilla?

Look forward to your responses.

Thanks

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Putting "amp" somewhere is neither required nor helpful.

Mobile repsonsive doesn't equal amp requirements.

Does your theme passes this test: https://search.google.com/test/amp

If yes, you are a Vanilla theming/programming wizard! There are several amp requirements that Vanilla cannot fulfil, just take the inline CSS for example. There is a function in the framework that inserts CSS links but following the amp specification, CSS needs to be inlined so one step to fulfil the requirements would be to rewrite that function.

• charrondevcharrondev Developer Lead (PHP, JS) Montreal Vanilla Staff

Internally we've had some discussions about implementing amp views in Vanilla, but there is a pretty hard pre-requisite of rewriting our existing pages and views and other priorities are much higher. We've been doing a lot of iteration on an internal project where we've been building the future way that we intend to render server side pages in Vanilla. You can see the middle stages of this starting to land in Vanilla right now:

Our new structure emphasizes using the API for all data fetching and feeding multiple types of views with it. Currently this means frontend ReactJS views and server rendered twig views for users with javascript disabled. This could certainly scale up to support amp views and routing for certain pages.

The real challenges in bringing this kind of structural rewrite is that it is a major backwards compatibility break. I've advocated against overriding views since I started working on Vanilla as well as addons than enhance views by adding an event handler and just echoing out some content.

For an addon to work in 3 different types of views it needs to have clear structural support in the core product, which could be a bit more limited than what is currently available, but also is much more robust.

• Thank you so much. I have been looking for turnaround. I thought Vanilla supports this.