Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

can't find database on local installation?

hello, i'm trying to install vanilla locally using docker, to take it for a test run.

all has succeeded but when I go to dev.vanilla.localhost and try to setup, it keeps saying it can't find the database.

version 2.8

data I use:

database host: database

database: vanilla_dev

user: root

no password

it comes back with this error: It appears as though the database you specified does not exist yet. Have you created it yet? Did you mistype the name? The database reported: SQLSTATE[HY000] [1049] Unknown database 'vanilla_dev'

so how do I create that database then? i thought it was included in the docker image?

any help greatly appreciated, I have followed the instructions on the github page but this is where I get stuck :(

Comments

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited February 2019

@Queth

Welcome to the community.

I don't know much about Docker, but it seems unlikely it would be able to create a database for you.

Typically, you would create a databse using something like phpMyAdmin (which Docker may or may not have installed), although it is possible to do it via a terminal in mySQL or MariaDB.

For my local testing site (on WIndows) I use XAMPP, which preinstalls a web server, database software and phpMyAdmin.

• QuethQueth New
    edited February 2019

Thank you whu606 :)

from the documentation on github I thought there was a dB already.

i never have done dev stuff on my Mac so I’m lost... Mariadb .. how would I create the database? Edit: found it !

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction! I should be able to creat it now.

• charrondevcharrondev Developer Lead (PHP, JS) Montreal Vanilla Staff
    edited February 2019

@Queth Every single Vanilla employee actually uses that docker image on a mac at the moment. There are plans to re-work it a bit and document it better but its been lower on our priority list than some other things. I was on-boarding a new developer this week though and definitely noticed the setup guide was lacking.

If you have any questions about it feel free to ask them here or PM me.

• thank you @charrondev

i thought I could manage but now I see that percoladb is the default one (and I don't want to switch for now).

but no matter how much I google I cannot find the command to create a database.

could someone provide me with the exact command line to create a database?

and where to execute said commando? I assume vanilla-docker dir?

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I assume you are speaking of Percona? You can use that as well.

If you are unexperienced with dealing with databases, a grahical frontend might be an easy entrance. Try something lightweight like adminer

Or try learning sql https://www.w3schools.com/SQl/sql_create_db.asp

• QuethQueth New
    edited March 2019

@R_J yeah percona... im used to phpmyadmin. This mac stuff and docker thing is new for me. I just want to install vanilla on my local machine (mac) right now. So i only need the command/howto create the DB so the forum will install.

So if anyone could tell me that im very grateful.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

You not only haven't looked at the page I've linked to, but not even read the link text itself. I've wasted my time... 😐️

• QuethQueth New
    edited March 2019

No, i didnt. Ok i did now. But it doesnt answer my question! I dont need a course on mysql. I dont need a new program to install.

im getting frustrated bc i thought it would be simple. -sigh-

i will not ever do anything remotely db or mysql related except install the darn forum!

yes, if I have the mysql syntax for creating a database i still can't create it since it says command not found. because i don't know how to work with this stuff on my mac.

just give me the installing vanilla on mac for dummies course link then i'll click it straight away ok? 😬

• charrondevcharrondev Developer Lead (PHP, JS) Montreal Vanilla Staff
    edited March 2019

@Queth So I use a free Mac App called SequelPro which is awesome for interacting with your database locally.

The default setup works like this:

1. Run the ./mac-setup.sh script in the vanilla docker repo.
    2. Install SequelPro
    3. Connect to the DB through it
    4. Use the dropdown in the top left to create your table.

Sequel Pro Configuration for Vanilla Docker

Making the Table

• 😀 Thank you so much for holding my hand while doing this.

I have succeeded in installing it now! You are my hero 🕺

now off to playing with vanilla! :)