Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

No comments visible on discussions

Hi again,

Here's a new one - I just got an email from a visitor to the forum who said he's unable to see *any* comments on the forum, except for the original discussion posts. He can see the pagination, but everything else is empty. I'm utterly unable to reproduce it (even on the same device and iOS version as he is using). It happened for him on his first visit, and after he created an account he's still unable to see any comments. He has Javascript turned on, and is using Safari, on iOS 12.1.4. Never heard of this happening before the 2.8 update.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    charrondevcharrondev Developer Lead (PHP, JS) Montreal Vanilla Staff
    edited March 2019

This is 100% a content blocker. I've seen it happen. You should notify your user to whitelist your domain from comment blocking. As an example from the 1Blocker FAQ:

How to view comments on a particular site?

1Blocker doesn't support partial whitelists. However, you have these options: 

• Disable Block Comments in 1Blocker.

• Simply whitelist the entire site.

• Long tap the reload button in Safari in order to view the site without blockers.

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Since it cannot be reproduced, it would be great if he can assist.

Can he take a look at the output of the Javascript console?

Have you checked that this user hasn't done obscure roles? In this case I would directly look at the UserRole table

• Options
    charrondevcharrondev Developer Lead (PHP, JS) Montreal Vanilla Staff

The user may be using a different content blocker but many of these content blockers don't discriminate between comments on some garbage blog-spam site, and comments on forum.

• Options

Ah-ha! Good thinking: he was indeed using a content blocker, 1Blocker. That'll be it.