Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

User Role as a substitute for Groups

Thank you for this wonderful software, this has really saved us months of effort.

We would like to create private discussions for multiple groups of users who do not have any special privileges, but just so they can discuss their own topic, an user in one topic has no rights in another, after searching online, I see that the groups plugin is hosted only and I saw another discussion about being able to set custom permissions to a specific category using user roles.

The idea is now to create multiple user roles for each group and assign permission to that category only to the members of that role. Will this pose scalability challenges in the near future, or is that not an issue, i.e. if we create say 200 user roles in the system would it create any performance issues or any other kind of issue?

Comments

• charrondevcharrondev Developer Lead (PHP, JS) Montreal Vanilla Staff

I can almost guarantee that you will run into permission scaling issues. Large amounts of custom category permissions have been notoriously difficult for us to scale in the past. Our caching strategies just aren't setup to handle it very well.

I don't think you will necessarily have any issues from having 200 roles alone or from setting custom category permissions per role, but if you start having categories with large amounts of custom permissions (especially nesting them) than you will certainly hit a performance cliff. Best of luck!