Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Default Category Template

Hello There!

This side a newbie on this site

I am allroundernaman. I want to ask whether Default Category Template is supported in Vanilla Forums or not!

Like in Discourse, (ex- forum.infinityfree.net) When you click New Topic -> You select Category as Support Forums -> A default template appears in the writing post. It is html coded and ask the basic reasons for the support. Is this feature available in vanilla forums.??

Please Let me know how can I explain you futher.

Comments

• Options

3 views still, no comments, is this the vanilla team?

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

This is a support forum for the open source community, by the open source community.

Replies are from volunteers who find the time in their otherwise busy day to try to help other people.

Expecting a reply in half an hour may be a touch optimistic.

I haven't seen a feature like that, but that doesn't mean for sure that it doesn't exist.

If you wait patiently, someone else might be able to give you more information.

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

whu606 already gave the answer: there is no built-in feature like that. You will need a custom plugin for that, but with that it is surely possible.

You would either need to create that by yourself (this might be a starting point) or pay someone coding that plugin for you.

• Options

Thats is why Discourse is better.

• Options

Better for your particular needs.

No one here is interested in a flame war about which is the better forum software.

If Vanilla doesn't meet your needs, time to move on.

• Options

@allroundernaman I don't know if this is why Discourse is better. But, there is a reason you are here and not there 100%. I have some reasons for my own position that I will share in a thread someday.

I have accomplished what you are asking using the power of a rich editor which I supercharged to do Content Blocking. But this is for another CMS. I hope to port this over to Vanilla someday.

In a nut shell, it is not rocket science. I imagine it is not here yet because Demand and Politeness (and maybe coffee $$$) are two important requisites for Supply

• Options

But the plugin you mentioned is not at all working. It says Plugins required : "tagging"

I went to tagging tab - in the discussions group and created 3+ tags, again the same error comes.

• Options

I think R_J was offering that as an example of the way the sort of plugin you need might work, not as a solution to your needs.

• Options

?

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

If you have questions, I'd be happy to help. You need to be able and willing to read and write code, though.

Comment out line 8 of the plugin class to be able to enable that plugin. Read about the addon.json in the documentation to get an understanding why changing lines in that array influences the plugins behavior.

• Options

Yes I did it, still get error, - View not found.

Plugin enabled successfully, but the settings page could not be opened.

• Options
    charrondevcharrondev Developer Lead (PHP, JS) Montreal Vanilla Staff
    edited March 2019

@allroundernaman The plugin @R_J mentioned is not compatible with the current version of Vanilla because tagging is no longer a plugin (it's just a core feature).

Notice he said it might be starting point.

@R_J you might find it easier that we are building a plugin internally to do this at the request of a client. I'll talk with the team and see if we can make it open source when it's complete.