Users running a non-download version of Vanilla (pulled from github), on branch release/2019.016 or master from the last 2 weeks should upgrade to release/2019.017 or latest master for security reasons. Downloaded official open sources releases are not affected.
Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.

Error importing SMF -> Vanilla 2.8: Incorrect integer value '' for column 'ParentCategoryID'

This discussion is related to the Vanilla Porter addon.

Converting from SMF 2.0.13 to Vanilla 2.8. The converter successfully generates a .txt.gz file, and Vanilla starts converting it. However, when it gets to the "Load Tables" step it throws up the following error:

If I open the import file inside the archive and poke around in it, I find that it's getting stuck on my SMF top-level categories because they have a ParentCategoryID of "\N" (without the quotes):

Of course, SMF makes the distinction between "categories" and "forums", and it requires at least one top-level category to hold all your forums; I have two. And it makes sense - these are top-level categories so they don't have parents. But it seems that the output from the conversion script is something other than what Vanilla is expecting at import time. I know I might have used something other than "\N" to denote no parent.

I don't need these SMF categories to import as Vanilla "categories", but if I try to delete them from the Vanilla import file and then resave the .gz, Vanilla then can't parse the .gz and errors out at step 2.

I know I can't be the only one with this problem, but I've searched here and on Google and haven't found much. Any help would be much appreciated.

Tagged:
K17

Comments

• K17K17 Unkorneglosk - Français / French Paris, France ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

Hello Welcome to Vanilla Forums ^^

Curious behavior, because I did imprts from some forums (never SMF) who have the same categories management, never seen this error.

Wait a little bit ;) Let's do somle search.

• Thanks. If it matters, I'm on an IIS 8.5 web server, by the way. MySQL is 5.6.