Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Bordee?

digifaddigifad New
edited September 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Bordee sure looks a lot like Vanilla...

bordee.com

Comments

• Options
    i'd say so... whispering and login screens are a giveaway. they've done some cool stuff with it.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Is this the good news that Mark alluded to in the swell blog?
  • Options
    Well if it's not they sure ripped off a load of his ideas! Pretty radical theme though.
  • Options
    Just found it odd that there is no mention of or credit to Mark.
  • Options
    I dont actually get the idea behind the site though?
  • Options
    From what I can gather, it's just setup so people can create forums for a site. Kind of like chatsum. If I want to talk about amazon.com, I can create a forum at Bordee. And people will discuss Amazon.com. I'm not a big fan of the idea.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I have nothing to do with that site.
  • Options
    i really dont like the way how it looks :/
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    edited September 2006
    I've emailed them. It will be interesting to see what comes out of it.

Some of the things they've done make me think that they might have used some of the Vanilla code. But they definitely ripped off the ideas and, in places, the exact text of Vanilla.
  • Options
    I've noticed that wordpress now has a "whisper" function.

http://lordchaos.dominatus.net/wordpress-plugin-whisper/

Would be nice to use if I end up integrating Vanilla and Wordpress.

So if Bordee not the good news, then when will you (Mark) be able to reveal the good news?
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    When it happens. It's still in the works.
  • Options
    Good luck, Mark. Just seemed too similar to not have some sort of credit pointed your way.

Might want to send a note to TechCrunch also, since the site was posted there:
    linkee

TechCrunch claims that the service is built with RoR, but I have my doubts.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff

Update

Okay, so here's what I wrote to the bordee folks in the first place:
    To whom it may concern,

My name is Mark O'Sullivan, and I am the creator of Lussumo Vanilla, a free open-source discussion forum. I was recently notified of bordee by some of the users of my software, and after a some investigation I can clearly see that your software is almost directly inspired by my software, which was publicly released two years ago and has been in development for over four years. Not only is there a striking resemblance between the software, but some of the text and features are exactly the same.

I am writing to ask if this is some kind of bizarre coincidence, or if you actually used some of the code in Vanilla to create your software. If you used the code in Vanilla, you are required to abide by the rules of the license under which it is released, the GPL (General Public License). I have no qualms with sharing software - it is part of the reason I released Vanilla as an open-source product in the first place. However, credit must be given where credit is due.

For more information on the GPL: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

I look forward to your reply.

Kind Regards,
    Mark O'Sullivan
    Here was their reply:
    Dear Mark,

My name is Brian Riggs, inventor of the Bordee technology. Let me say first that I am a fan of Vanilla. In fact, I was inspired by some of the appearance and features in your great software. However, being inspired by something is not the same as copying it. Look at all the cars on the road with four wheels, an engine in front, four doors, and a steering wheel to guide it. Like cars, there are only so many decent ways you can lay out a message board. We created the Bordee web-application from scratch using Ruby on Rails. If we had used some of your code we would be have no problem abiding by the rules of the GPL and also letting you know that we had used your code for a commercial project.

The current version of the Bordee website is an alpha. During development, we have been focusing mostly on the unique part of the new technology--connecting a message board to a particular website. We plan to have our site re-skinned when we get some artistic folks on board, and I suspect the graphics will change then. Meanwhile, please accept my compliments on developing a very attractive and functional message board.

I didn't realize that your users would be offended by using the term "Whisper" for a Private Message. But just to avoid any confusion, we will change "Whisper" to "Private Comment". I'd be happy to give you credit for inspiring some of the Bordee features, please let me know how you would like your name and/or info to be displayed in the "about" section of our site.

Respectfully,
    Brian Riggs

Fair enough, I reckon.
  • Options
    LMAO @ "some". I think he meant "all". Most of the features of this site rely on the look and feel of Vanilla. His analogy to cars is ridiculous. Disregarding that comment, most forum developers try to go their own route in term of features and layout. Bordee should have done the same unless Brian consulted Mark first. The topic pages, search page, and many other pages are blatant copies of Vanilla. I just think credit should be provided where due. *weak sauce
  • Options
    It sounded like a fair reply. No need to go to war. Sign the treaty.
  • Options
    Yeah, I mean I know its annoying but think, people are inspired by vanilla (now thats a good thing!)
  • Options
    I agree with the reply being fair. As long as people aren't making money out of someone elses work...
  • Options
    Well, it was cheeky of him not acknowledging Mark in the first place. But at least there's an opportunity of recognition now. And if bordee takes of, with a link to Vanilla on its site, that would be a good thing, as it may bring users to this site, and see the true, one and only Vanilla.
  • Options
    Maybe Lussumo should lay some kind of legal claim to the "whisper".... is that possible?
  • Options
    i didn't notice anyone being "offended" by the use of the term whisper, though
This discussion has been closed.