HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

ProfileExtender - field lenght

Any way to limit amount of signs in Textbox-fields?

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin
    edited October 2019

Interesting! In the plugin there's an array of allowed "FieldProperties" and one of which is "Length". Therefore I would try adding the following line to the config:

$Configuration['ProfileExtender']['Fields']['Whatever']['Length'] = 8;

• KasparKaspar Moderator
    edited October 2019

I will test that.

Reason for asking:

An account (of the unwanted kind) had filled a payload of image and site links in a custom field.

So much that I had to go the db way to remove it.

Browser hung when trying to mark to remove.

Both in edit profile in forum and dashboard.

• KasparKaspar Moderator

In dashboard I could mark the amount that is visible and delete and then repeat but after 10-15 rounds browser hung again.

Slightly unsatisfying: you are allowed to give a length, but it has no effect. Instead you can do that: $Configuration['ProfileExtender']['Fields']['Whatever']['Options'] = ['MaxLength' => 5];

But the MaxLength is only for the HTML element. You can change that with the web inspector and send anything you like...

There is no other way to enforce a limit other than writing a plugin. But in your case I would recommend using an sql to clean the db. Only if this happens more often you might think about writing a plugin for that.

• Maybe put the restriction on the DB column? Then JS to validate the form. problem is that if the JS fails, the server will send the error of excess. And I have not found a way to catch the error and make it more readable to the user

ProfileExtender fields are saved in the UserMeta table. Therefore you couldn't change the column without unwanted side effects.

A plugin could catch the UserModel BeforeSave... events and do some validation, using the Validation->addValidationResult so that a string of exceeding length could trigger a "normal" error message.