HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

custom.css not accepted

Hi,

I tried to change the color of the header bar and included a custom.css in the theme directory of keystone in the design folder. In Firefox inspector I see

and as you see, my custom.css is there but gets overwritten.

How do I solve this?

Thank you so much!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited January 2020

https://css-tricks.com/precedence-css-order-css-matters/

http://tutorials.jenkov.com/css/precedence.html

grep is your friend.

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited January 2020

Understanding prescience and using the inspect tool in your browser will help you pick appropriate selectors with a higher precedence.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited January 2020

For a quick fix you could also add !important after your color hexcode, but that is a bit whacky and known to cause headache if you make a lot of changes in your themes later.

@x00‘s recommendations are easy to learn and the way to clean CSS.

So better make sure the Themes template file loads the custom.css after the _header.scss. If this is built in quirky and hard to unwrap for you could add a surrounding CSS ID in front of the .Header class like #Head or similar.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I must confess that I was irritated because I always thought that custom.css should be used for individual customizations and would be loaded last. Looking at the at the LegayAssetModel shows that the order is

• style.css
    • custom.css
    • custom_themestyle.css

Therefore your styles in custom.css get overwritten.

@dadoc I would suggest you don't add more specificity to that CSS files. Beyond that: adding/changing files in a folder that hasn't been created by you (because you wrote the entire theme/plugin) should be avoided.

Instead I would suggest you use the Pockets plugin to insert the CSS. That would be loaded after the two Vanilla CSS files and therefore could simply be addressed with .Header

• Options
    phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

@R_J: I would agree but from a SEO standpoint I wouldn‘t add another file request for a simple edit like this.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Pockets puts the css inline.

From a developer view I would recommend to start from boilerplate, use what is nice from keystone, customize what should look different and build that theme as "my own". But if really all that is needed is one line of css, Pockets would be an easy solution