HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

mailchecker plugin - issue on Vanilla 3.3

After installing and enabling the plugin, and then trying to refresh the blank domain list in settings... there was a popup error of : "syntax error, unexpected ':'"

Checking the comments on the plugin page, that error seemed to indicate that cURL was not installed on the server - but - it is, and the version showing is 7.6.2., so there was a deeper issue.

Digging into some of the code, there's an outdated link to the mail domain list to check against on github, and there's also been a change to it's format and how it's retrieved and parsed. Any attempt to view or reference the hard-coded link ( https://raw.githubusercontent.com/FGRibreau/mailchecker/master/list.json ) will throw a 404 error. It is no longer published as a .json file, and is now a simple text file, with one domain per line ( RAW file: https://github.com/FGRibreau/mailchecker/raw/master/list.txt ).

I haven't tested the plugin to see if it will actually block registrations with the local list, as the current domain count is at 33,000+ and is far, far larger than the 2741 available with the plugin's 'providers.php' listing.

My server setup:

PHP 7.3, Lightspeed, Vanilla Forum 3.3 (fresh install via Softaculous), with no errors in error_log, no errors in devtools console window on a click to refresh.

If I copy/paste from the currently published github list, is it possible that the checking routine might successfully parse and compare to the new list during registration attempts - or - would it still need to do some background checking and validation against the actual gihub list?

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Thanks for that detailed look on the plugin! I have updated it and it should work now (the current 33606 providers are included in the current version)

To answer your question (just if you are curious): updating the providers.php in the plugins folder manually would have helped, I guess. But the plugin was quite old and there have been deprecated functions in it, nevertheless. So a small makeover was useful anyway.

• @R_J - Thanks for the quick reply and the even-quicker fix!

I disabled/deleted v0.2 and uploaded/enabled 0.3 to replace it. No errors on install or in a refresh (unneeded) of the list. I'll attempt to add some users later on that use listed bad-domain addresses to test further.

And, yes.... Was still curious about whether the copy/paste might have been a workaround, but even better to know that a more permanent fix was possible.