HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

mailchecker plugin - issue on Vanilla 3.3

This discussion is related to the Mail Checker addon.

After installing and enabling the plugin, and then trying to refresh the blank domain list in settings... there was a popup error of : "syntax error, unexpected ':'"

Checking the comments on the plugin page, that error seemed to indicate that cURL was not installed on the server - but - it is, and the version showing is 7.6.2., so there was a deeper issue.

Digging into some of the code, there's an outdated link to the mail domain list to check against on github, and there's also been a change to it's format and how it's retrieved and parsed. Any attempt to view or reference the hard-coded link ( https://raw.githubusercontent.com/FGRibreau/mailchecker/master/list.json ) will throw a 404 error. It is no longer published as a .json file, and is now a simple text file, with one domain per line ( RAW file: https://github.com/FGRibreau/mailchecker/raw/master/list.txt ).

I haven't tested the plugin to see if it will actually block registrations with the local list, as the current domain count is at 33,000+ and is far, far larger than the 2741 available with the plugin's 'providers.php' listing.

My server setup:

PHP 7.3, Lightspeed, Vanilla Forum 3.3 (fresh install via Softaculous), with no errors in error_log, no errors in devtools console window on a click to refresh.

If I copy/paste from the currently published github list, is it possible that the checking routine might successfully parse and compare to the new list during registration attempts - or - would it still need to do some background checking and validation against the actual gihub list?

Comments

  • R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

    Thanks for that detailed look on the plugin! I have updated it and it should work now (the current 33606 providers are included in the current version)


    To answer your question (just if you are curious): updating the providers.php in the plugins folder manually would have helped, I guess. But the plugin was quite old and there have been deprecated functions in it, nevertheless. So a small makeover was useful anyway.


    humantex
  • @R_J - Thanks for the quick reply and the even-quicker fix!

    I disabled/deleted v0.2 and uploaded/enabled 0.3 to replace it. No errors on install or in a refresh (unneeded) of the list. I'll attempt to add some users later on that use listed bad-domain addresses to test further.

    And, yes.... Was still curious about whether the copy/paste might have been a workaround, but even better to know that a more permanent fix was possible.

Sign In or Register to comment.