HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Double import?

So I imported my SQL data from my old forum so that I could test with real live data on the Vanilla forum and I am about ready to go live and switch over to Vanilla forums. Question how would I go about importing the data again and overwrite the old data that is now 3 weeks old in Vanilla Forum? Is there a way for me to do this like adding only to existing database as only messages were added and users to old forum no new forums categories or groups were created on the old forum

Any suggestions how to do this best?

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Cleanest way is always a 100% re-import. Even if you think your forum has been quite static, there might have been edited/moved comments which would slip through. Also users might have changed their personal info.

I don't know of diff tools for databases, although I'm sure there are solutions out there. But I think to really be sure that you don't miss anything,

• Go through all of the tables of your current Vanilla test forum and TRUNCATE those that aren't needed. I think you will end up with only Category and Role remaining to have data
    • lock your old forum
    • run the vanilla porter
    • import the data to your vanilla forum

• What happens if i just run the import again over top of the existing database? Will it just overwrite it or do i have to clean up the database so its empty first?

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

It would append all entries, creating double entries, I assume. But you can create a backup and try it. Maybe you have luck