HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

URL sub category

tastas New
edited March 2020 in Vanilla 3.x Help

Hi all,

Is it possible to have the parent of a sub category as part of the url?

e.g.

In this forum these categories are under Development:

Releases

Community Addons & Development

Localization

If I click "Localization" the url is open.vanillaforums.com/categories/localization

is there any plugin or setting that can change this url to have the parent category in there as well?

I'd like the url to be open.vanillaforums.com/categories/releases/localization

Any help or point in direction would be very much appreciated.

This is mainly because we are migrating from another forum software and want to keep the same url's as much as we can.

i'm also interested in having the categories as part of the url when opening a post.

We are running the latest version of vanilla.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

I can see i accidentally wrote the wrong URL:

open.vanillaforums.com/categories/releases/localization

What i ment was:

open.vanillaforums.com/categories/development/localization

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Tweaking your new software to match old conventions might be possible, but in most cases it would be a bad idea. You must always ensure that each new version of the new software shows your old conventions. I would break with them.

Looking at the CategoriesController, I'd say it is only possible with some ugly tweaks and that doesn't cover all the links throughout Vanilla.

Instead of that I would advice to use some RewriteRules in your .htaccess to redirect from yourforum/categories/development/localization to Vanillas yourforum/categories/localization

I'm sorry, I'm not good at writing rewrite rules, so I cannot assist.

• Options

Thanks a million for your insights. They are very much appreciated!

• Options

I would agree if you create some rewrite rules so that old links are not broken but are redirected with a proper 301 permanent it will update Search Engine links as people user them without leaving them dead.

What is the format of your old forum compared to the new forum?