HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

re: database structure upgrade utility failed

selfawareselfaware New
edited May 2020 in Vanilla 3.x Help

After inserting quite a few categories (over 20,000+) into mysql directly, I eventually was unable execute the database base structure utility - pressing rescan would result in an error.

Here is the php error log.

[10-May-2020 23:25:10 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 20480 bytes) in example.com\applications\vanilla\models\class.categorymodel.php on line 2580

Comments

• Options
    selfawareselfaware New
    edited May 2020

It turned out that my php.ini file defaulted to 128meg and based on the number above of 134meg, it was in the red, hence the error.

I did notice that if if I try and delete the root folder that contains the 20,000 plus categories from within Vanilla - I get an error and

the directory won't delete - turns out, the default execution time in php.in is 30 seconds and that time was being exceeded.

if anyone else is thinking about blowing in a lot of data on the backed, somethings to be mindful of.

Perhaps in the next Vanilla revision, some code revisions can be made to accommodate for larger number of categories. I suspect with the right tweaks, I would not need to exceed 128megs to execute the database structure scripts or increase execution time greater than 30 seconds to delete a category folder.

It's actually, pretty funny - if I move the position of my root category folder that contains 20,000 + sub categories, the screen gets blurry and eventually a message pops up that indicates it's saving :)

• Options
    BleistivtBleistivt Moderator

Perhaps in the next Vanilla revision, some code revisions can be made to accommodate for larger number of categories. I suspect with the right tweaks, I would not need to exceed 128megs to execute the database structure scripts or increase execution time greater than 30 seconds to delete a category folder.

I highly doubt that. Vanilla can handle many categories and subcategories using the flat layout, but why would anybody ever want to have a forum with over 20,000 categories? That is more than any human can mentally parse. I'm interested, what's your use case?