Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Classing People Pages

edited September 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I'm working with a heavily modified Vanilla theme, in order to integrate it with an existing site. The theme currently has a problem in IE that only effects the people pages. I know how to fix the problem; the issue is in how the CSS fix should be deployed. I have a stylesheet that's included using conditional comments specifically for IE hacks; normally I'd just plop the CSS fix in there and go. But since this problem is only on the people pages, I need something specific to them so that the fix doesn't skew the pages that are displaying correctly. Consequently there are two ways around this that I've come up with: 1) Have a people-ie.css that only loads on the People pages. Presumably would mean hacking the $StyleSheet array. 2) Figure out some way to have the <body> class set to "People" on all the People pages. That would allow me to prefix the CSS fix with ".People". So... did I miss an easy fix? If not, which of the two above would be the easiest/best to implement?

Comments

• Options
    I would go for 1) and add somewhere like in an extension:
    if ($Context->SelfUrl == "people.php") $Head->AddStyleSheet(/path/to/people-ie.css);
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    The only problem I've run into in creating the extension: how to put the stylesheet inside a conditional comment?

Rather than relying on CSS hacks (which may break as IE 7 rolls out), I usually go Microsoft's recommended route and use conditional comments to expose my IE-only stylesheet to pre-7 IE:

<!--[if lt IE 7]> <link href="/styles/ie.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" /> <![endif]-->

If I use the AddStyleSheet, then it seems like I'm forced to rely on CSS hacks to hide my IE-specific CSS from other browsers.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    if ($Context->SelfUrl == "people.php") $Head->AddString('<!--[if lt IE 7]><link href="/styles/ie.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" /><![endif]-->');
    tada...
  • Options
    FYI, for the time being I'm using the Star HTML (* html) hack to hide the CSS from other browsers.
This discussion has been closed.