HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

@mention of users stalls on Loading... in fresh install of Vanilla 3.3

I have setup a new Vanilla 3.3 forum (my host doesn't support MySQL 5.7 so Vanilla 3.3 is my only option) and for some reason, when I try to @ mention a user it just gets stuck on "Loading..." and nothing ever comes up.

It works just fine on another Vanilla forum that I setup a few months ago so I know it's not my browser or script blocking. It seems to be a fault in this new installation.

Any suggestions or advice on how to troubleshoot or resolve this?

Comments

• Doing a little more digging and comparing what I see between my one forum that works with @mentions the other that doesn't....and I can see the non-working forum is throwing a 404 error when it tries to access /api/v2/users/me using the Chrome inspector tool.

Then when I go an look at API v2 in forum settings, it says:

No API definition provided

However, on my working forum the API v2 page is loaded with entries.

So perhaps my API is broken? I have no recollection of configuring that on the first Vanilla forum I setup so no thoughts on how to fix that?

• porthosporthos New
    edited December 2021

Could this be something wrong with .htaccess? One thing that is different between my two forums is that this one is hosted in a split server domain setup. www.rootdomain.com is on one hosted web server, and forum.rootdomain.com (the vanilla install) is on a different web host.

• Ok, I think I'm onto it, but just posting here in case someone smarter than me can check my work and make sure I'm not doing something terrible here. I'm guessing the root problem is use a subdomain forum.rootdomain.com instead of www.rootdomain.com/forum and/or that I have the rootdomain and forum subdomain split across different web hosts.

I came across a few posts with people having No API Definition provided and it often being tied to .htaccess issues and pretty urls. I tried enabling pretty urls by adding this to my config.php

$Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = true;

Then my next problem is that I was getting heaps of 404 errors on trying to access any link (e.g. Categories) other than forum.rootdomain.com/

So I came across this https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/261763#Comment_261763 and I added the following to my .htaccess file

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php\?p=$1 [QSA,L]

And voila! All the URLS work and my @mentions have started working. API v2 is also now fully populated.

I just would love to know if what I've done here is safe/ok? I'm really really bad at writing .htaccess files so I'm not really sure what I have done and if it's going to cause a problem somewhere down the line? Or opens up a security risk?

• KasparKaspar Moderator
    edited December 2021