Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Can Gmail Work for the Email

edited December 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
How would I setup gmail for the SMTP server, this always confuses me, is it possible? Incoming Mail (POP3) Server - requires SSL: pop.gmail.com Use SSL: Yes Port: 995 Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - requires TLS: smtp.gmail.com (use authentication) Use Authentication: Yes Use STARTTLS: Yes (some clients call this SSL) Port: 465 or 587 Account Name: your Gmail username (including '@gmail.com') Email Address: your full Gmail email address (username@gmail.com) Password: your Gmail password

Comments

• you could try going into conf/settings.php and adding these lines $Configuration['SMTP_HOST'] = 'smtp.gmail.com:465'; $Configuration['SMTP_USER'] = 'yourusername@gmail.com'; $Configuration['SMTP_PASSWORD'] = 'yourgmailpassword'; let us know if it works.
  • edited September 2006
    Warning: fsockopen() [function.fsockopen]: unable to connect to smtp.gmail.com:465 (A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond. ) in E:\Inetpub\wwwroot\addicted\boards\library\Framework\Framework.Class.Email.php on line 184 I don't think so, does anyone know where I can get a free email that supports SMTP? No, My ISP came with yahoo mail.
  • You could just use an open SMTP relay. I'm pretty sure mail.freeserve.co.uk should work as the SMTP server. You dont need any login details.
  • Why not setup your own mail server? I use Argosoft freeware for testing on windows, works for drupal, may work for vanilla too.
  • If you are going to go the"setup your own mailserver" route may I suggest hMailServer. I have used it before and I like it over all the rest. It is free and open-source. Easy to setup too. http://www.hmailserver.com/
  • http://www.aim.com
    http://mail.aim.com

Your aim screen name is also ScreeName@aim.com email address with IMAP, SMTP outgoing, 2GB storage space!
    I think google has the smtp service as well.
  • be careful when settings up your own mail server, some well known mail servers(gmail, yahoo most of all i think, hotmail) will direct it to the spam or deny it all together... just because it is an easy way to create spam addresses to use
  • Waterskiaddict block userblock commentpermalink be careful when settings up your own mail server, some well known mail servers(gmail, yahoo most of all i think, hotmail) will direct it to the spam or deny it all together... just because it is an easy way to create spam addresses to use

Thanks for the tip, it was a big help. An existing mailserver like @gmail.com or @aim.com doesn't get marked as spam and also no need for SMTP option. Thanks again!!!
  • Note: GMAIL has a limit of up to 250 outgoing emails a day via SMTP (or rather 250 recipients a day I think). 500 if sent from the gmail interface.
This discussion has been closed.