Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Alternative uses for Vanilla? Online scrapbook?

3stripe3stripe ✭✭
edited July 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Was just wondering what else it could be used for, given a few tweaks, in an outside-the-box kind of manner? I could see it being very nice as a personal online filing system, for notes, links, scraps of code, that kinda stuff. (Have tried gmail for this but it's a wee bit clunky, and backpack has too much interface on the damn thing)

Comments

• lechlech Chicagoland
    Providing the framework is as extensible as mark can make it. I presume that it could be used for a variety of uses other than just a forum. Few things that come to mind are catagorized blogs, wiki, cms/cvs, and probably a number of other things that would require some heavy extension modding. It could all be done. Just not easily.
  • Yup, I'd like kill to see a CMS version of Vanilla - it would have to be called Saffron or somesuch stupid name - could easily be a Wordpress beater.

Anyhow the personal scrapbook thing would be the easiest, would just have to make sure no-one else could get into it!
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    I've already begun reffering to extensions as "beans" I guess you could call a CMS "paste" or "extract" if you really wanted to.
  • Sounds good phonetically and literally to me.
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    :)
  • mark has to keep creating all these amazing open source products so that we dont have to deal with the garbage around now.
  • Oh boy - the Vanilla API?!

• MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    It's wierd, but you're totally right. I could turn Vanilla into a ton of different kind of applications. The one that's particularly been on my mind is a bug tracking application. This would be a pretty damn easy conversion, too. I think I'd call a bug tracker "Cilantro" because I flipping hate cilantro and I'm always trying to fish it out of my food.
  • i would love to see an awesome bug tracker... mark do you use one at all currently? i've been using one that is actually pretty wicked... fogbugz... it has tons of features that are actually useful.
  • i share your hatred of cilantro
  • dudes i love cilantro
  • it just occurred to me that the reason i always give my wife for my dislike of cilantro is: it smells exactly like bug spray. cilantro: gets rid of bugs. it's serendipity.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    jonezy - right now I've been throwing all bugs into a todo list on my basecamp site. Just checking them off as I finish them. but I want to have something a little more public so you guys can watch the bugs and see when things are fixed or add to the list.
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    Sounds like a job for bugzilla!
  • I've been wanting to write my own cms/blog engine for a looooong time. I've gone through all the big ones, MT, TXP, WP, Bloxssom.. To that end, I'm looking at the vanilla code. I'd like to see if I can make it into a blogging engine. I like the simple way it's laid out already, and the fact that it's got comments and posts, etc. I don't see why not. I'd imagine it would just take some work. In any case, I"ll be looking at it. I guessin the end the "hard" part is the template and page generation, but I think I've got that down. Once it's finished/close to finished, I'd love to have it maintained by a group of people...
  • The Lussumo publishing engine, an extensible, object oriented, PHP framework.

Extension list:

• Forum - Vanilla
    • Wiki - Slate
    • Blog - Spark
    • CMS - Pergola
    • Bugtracker - Cilantro

Just daydreaming...

• A Forum that had a matching CMS and was fully integrated with it would be phenomenal.
This discussion has been closed.