Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Turn off user search functionality if not signed in

edited July 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
If I'm not signed into Vanilla, I can still search for all users in the system, and I can see the e-mail addresses of those users who have their accounts set to "Check here to make your email address visible to other members". The problem is that I'm not a member, so this is misleading. In fact, anyone can see your e-mail address. Granted, the e-mail addresses are protected so spammers can't easily harvest them, but I may wish for members to contact me, while not wishing for non-members to have this kind of personal information access. So, either: A) Turn off member search if not logged in B) Make A an administrative option C) Don't display e-mail addresses if not logged in Which of these options does everyone here prefer?

Comments

• Options
    good find. All are reasonable suggestions...i'll leave it to marks wisdom.
  • Options
    i think B is a good option. absolutely a good find.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I'm liking either C or: D) Make C an administrative option
  • Options

I like C

• Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    Well, users have the option to display their email addresses between each other. So I'm all for C, leave option D as a last resort :)
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    B sounds good ;-) Thought about it. Obviously C would be the right thing if we think about spammers and data harvesters.
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    I think I lean toward both B and C (i.e. give administrators the ability to turn on/off the user search but never display e-mail addresses to non-members).
This discussion has been closed.