Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

A way to edit advanced permissions

edited November 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Is there an extension (tried searching, maybe I missed it) that will allow me to make a category where only admins could post topics and members could reply? You know, one of those traditional-forum type millions of checkboxes type permissions? That's the biggest thing keeping me from switching to Vanilla, because I need a section for my blog where only the admins can post blog posts and members and guests can comment. I then have my front page and Atom feed read the databse and put it out on my home page and feed.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    I believe this can be done with multi-roles. Set one role that has permission to add comments (but not start discussions) to your blog category, then give them a second role that has permission to start and add comments on one of the regular categories.
  • Options
    can u actually hide categories from users. So they don't even see what else is there.
  • Options
    Yes, set up a role, call it say "Private"

Also set up a category, call it say "Secret"

Now go into the Secret category settings...

Set "Roles allowed to take part in this category" to Private and Admin

That's how I set up mine, it woiks. pic
  • Options
    Thanks guys! ^_^
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Re hiding categories, what apart from Premoderation can keep idiots like me from forgetting to assign the Secret category to my discussion so everyone ends up reading my 'confidential' topic?

For now, I am going to use different installs with a common Users
    Table to create boundaries between confidential and non-confidential conversations.

Am I missing something obvious here? Besides banning myself as a moron?
  • Options
    The problem with multi-roles however is that I can't have it asign multiple roles at the moment of sign-up. So guests can post (w/ extension) on my blog, but new members can't. Kinda messes it up a bit.
This discussion has been closed.