Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Try Vanilla Forums Cloud product
Vanilla 2.6 is here! It includes security fixes and requires PHP 7.0. We have therefore ALSO released Vanilla 2.5.2 with security patches if you are still on PHP 5.6 to give you additional time to upgrade.
Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.

A PHP Snippet

edited October 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I need a PHP snippet to create a welcome message on a PageManager page.
Can anyone fill in the green bits and correct syntax for me...

if someone is logged in
   echo 'Hello whoever'
else
   echo 'Please log in';

Comments

• edited October 2006
    Don't know about PageManager, but this is a way to do it in an extension: (I did it similar to this for both GuestSignin and Guestsense)
    if ( ($Context->UserID > 0) && in_array($Context->SelfUrl, array("account.php", "categories.php", "comments.php", "index.php", "search.php") ) { echo "Hello " . $Context->User->Name; // I think this is right.... } else { echo "Please log in"; }

::mumbles something about mac users not knowing how to program:: (Kidding!)
  • What do you mean not knowing how to program? He's using the new mac programming language! English! I'd buy a mac today if i could program like that on it :(
  • PHP code in a page created by the page manager acts like code in a function, so you're going to have to use the $GLOBALS array to access global variables (either simply access array elements or make a reference to an index):
    if($GLOBALS['Context']->Session->RoleID) echo 'Hello '.$GLOBALS['Context']->Session->User->Name;
    else echo 'Please log in';
  •  Quote: WallPhone  ::mumbles something about mac users not knowing how to program:: (Kidding!)
    Thanks WallPhone and SirNot, I'll give that a go.

And no I don't know PHP, I hack at it and make it do what I want usually, all I need is an example to get me going.

Also for the record, I'm not a "great" designer either, I'm a teacher by trade, this web stuff is a hobby which I have become good at, so they tell me.
This discussion has been closed.