Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Replicate settings to another forum...

edited November 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Hi folks, this is my first post, and I want to thank you all because searching this forum REALLY helped over the past two weeks. You guys rock! I've been toying with Vanilla 1.0.1, made a local install for development, and then did an install for a client of mine, consisting of two forums under the same domain, sharing the user table as indicated by Mark. I also modified a style (soulscape) to suit my client's website design, and everything is working real good. Both forums have the same style and extensions, so I make all changes in Forum1, copy extensions, activate them, etc., and then re-do everything on Forum2. It's not so difficult, but I'd like to make it simpler ;-). Know what I mean? I want to make changes made in one forum to propagate to the other. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Again, thanks a lot!!!

Comments

• Options
    TomTesterTomTester New
    edited November 2006
    I think you may be able to just copy the extensions.php file in /conf (perhaps you need to copy stuff from settings.php too, not sure about DB-tables) Note: you'll need to get those from the SERVER to make sure you have the latest settings. Also, make sure you don't overwrite your database settings of they are different for forum 1 and 2
  • Options
    Since the settings files are basically includes, you could easily clear one out and just incllude the settings file of the other install.

Just don't try to change the settings in the app... it will over write the manual changes.
  • Options
    OK, so if it overwrites them I'm assuming they're stored in the database after all... Aribal, check with your SQL admin tool after installing forum 1.

Note: elsewhere on this site I read that multi-forum install with non-standard table prefixes (i.e. not lum_) in the same database can be tricky (not all add-ons are 'clean').
  • Options
    Wallphone, I like the idea of "including" the settings file of the first install in the second... It would be great because it wouldn't need any "manual" process. The only thing that worries me is to have the admin (my client) changing settings in forum2 and messing it all up. Anyway, I will try it tomorrow morning on my local install and report back. Or perhaps I could just access the settings files of forum1 directly from forum2. And things would work regardless of which forum originates the configuration changes. Dunno, it's late, I think I'll better "sleep on it". I'll also check if some preferences are stored in the database (I hope not). I don't have extensions installed on the *live* forums yet, I'm moving them from my development machine one by one, after testing everything works. Thanks guys
This discussion has been closed.