Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Post your top 3 reasons

byttebytte
edited November 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Most of us are into Vanilla, that's for sure. But still I'd like to start a discussion topic like this one. Post your top 3 reasons for switching to Vanilla. And post your top 3 reasons why you wouldn't switch to Vanilla. I'd switch because - Vanilla is standards-compliant and well-designed - Vanilla is relatively easy to adapt to your own site design - Extensions are relatively easy to create and adapt I wouldn't switch because - It's hard for non-experienced users to post an image or a link, especially if they're used to forums like phpbb or vbulletin - Most people on my current board wouldn't know how to deal with a new forum (they're non-techies) - There's no e-mail notification with new replies

Comments

• Options
    Are we talking plain core or with extensions? Cause #1 and #3 of your 'wouldnts' are catered for in extensions y'know..?
  • Options
    On #2, you could argue that Vanilla is better for non-techies, as it doesn't have as much clutter and is easier to navigate. I'd switch (err... use) because - Whispers are more convenient than PMs (who needs another inbox?) - I can program PHP and delegates make upgrading after making modifications very easy - People and the Framework make expanding capabilities into an integrated online app easy - Security is a priority in Vanilla (whoops! thats four) - Vanilla just plain looks good (err... I need to stop) I wouldn't use because - My intended audience is more familliar with *bulletin and all the *bb clones - Some features I want aren't yet in add-ons (see #2 above) - I probably should look into Drupal before committing to Vanilla, but believe that is much more than I want or need.
  • Options
    Are we talking plain core or with extensions? Cause #1 and #3 of your 'wouldnts' are catered for in extensions y'know..?

#1 still isn't as easy as with the "popular" board software in my opinion
    #3 is misplaced indeed, sorry! ;)
  • Options
    #1 even with a quicktags bar or something?
  • Options
    Well, it was kinda buggy when I tested it a few weeks ago...
This discussion has been closed.