Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Forum crashed with too many connections

edited November 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I have just recently setup Vanilla as my forum software, but it keeps crashing sometimes with "too many connections" to the database? Currently there are only 9 members, but with this problem I can't make it public. Any ideas? Help is very much appreciated. I am running the latest version of Vanilla and some add-ons.

Comments

• Options
    I doubt its vanilla thats the problem. If it was, Mozilla won't be using it for its future Firefox extensions page.
  • Options
    I also believe that it might be not the core engine, but some unlucky combination of add-ons or one specific add-on. Will check that.
  • Options
    I have had the same problem and thought it was an issue with an add on. I turned off a couple and the problem seemed to resolve itself. I wasn't able to figure out which one it was specifically though.
  • Options
    Thanks for the hint, will try to sort it out.
  • Options
    It's probably caused by addons which open their own seperate connections or possibly dont close them correctly (i.e. sessions are left dead until they time out but are using slots in the meantime) One fix would be to have your host increase the number of allowed connections - it may be ridiculously low..
  • Options
    Is there any caching tools/settings... id like to have my site prepared for a digg.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    In case your wondering, it's not the Statistics add-on because it's got a total 5 minute cache on it ;)
  • Options
    rather than a fault of Vanilla (or it's extensions) could it not be the host you have it installed on? If you're on a shared host, it might just be that one of the other accounts is hammering the MySQL server.
  • Options
    What extensions did you turn off? It would be nice to know.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Ok, I took some extensions down and now it's working fine. I am not sure which one was really the problem, but here are my suspects: 1. LiveSearch 2. Discussion Filters 3. Participated Threads Hope this helps! Maybe you wanna check: http://www.germancarblog.com/forum
  • Options
    ADMADM
    edited November 2006
    My guess is the LiveSearch extension. The others really wouldn't be using too many connections. An idea would be to activate one at a time and try only one for a couple of days and see if you get it. Repeat it with the others until you narrow it down to the specific extension.
  • Options
    It's most probably the LiveSearch. I don't really miss it currently as the ordinary search is quite effective. Thanks to everybody for your help!
  • Options
    @min: It's probably caused by addons which open their own seperate connections or possibly dont close them correctly (i.e. sessions are left dead until they time out but are using slots in the meantime) One fix would be to have your host increase the number of allowed connections - it may be ridiculously low.. I'm having similar problems with database connections, and a problem where comments are appearing out of order. I've disabled add-ons and think that AjaxQuote may be a culprit, if that helps anyone.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    You can add "$Context->Unload();" at the end of AjaxQuote/ajax.php,
    (Is it necessary to close the connection in php? Is it not closed automatically at the end of the script?)
This discussion has been closed.